Nielsen: Indie Retail Flexing Sales Muscle
June 25, 2015 at 3:48 PM (PT)
NIELSEN MUSIC's latest report illustrates a resiliency in the Indie retail sector. Indie retail’s share of sales is up and, while vinyl is still a big seller (sales are up another 12% this year), independent records store’s share of CD sales is also increasing.
• Overall sales at the Indie stores are up 1% YTD
* Indie stores have grown to 7.6% of Overall U.S. Album sales in 2015 (up from 7.3% in 2014)
* Indie stores have grown to 14.2% of Physical U.S. Album sales in 2015 (up from 13.1% in 2014)
• Vinyl LP sales are up +12% YTD at Indie stores
* Indie Stores are still the majority sellers of vinyl albums, with 52% of all Vinyl LP sales in 2015
• CDs at the Indie stores are down 3.6%, while the rest of the retail market is down 10.8%
* Indie stores have grown to 10.5% of overall CD sales in 2015 (up from 9.8% in 2014)
Also Vinyl albums continue their growth and are on pace for another record setting year. Overall Vinyl LPs are up +39% in 2015 vs. the same period in 2014. Looking at the best-selling vinyl LPs so far this year, Taylor Swift leads the way, while the rest of the top 20 includes a mix of current and catalog hits from many different genres.