Infinite Dial 2016 Study On Digital, Mobile Growth Unveiled At Webinar
March 10, 2016 at 12:37 PM (PT)
The latest INFINITE DIAL 2016 study, commissioned by EDISON RESEARCH and TRITON DIGITAL, examined the ever-expanding proliferation of smartphones and digital audio behaviors such as listening to online radio and podcasts. Unveiled at the INFINITE DIAL webinar earlier TODAY (3/10), the nationally representative telephone survey found that 50% of respondents age 12 and older listened to some sort of online radio in the last WEEK, an increase from 44% last YEAR. With 57% of AMERICANS using online radio monthly; the conversion of monthly to weekly users is now 88%.
Among the other highlights:
• Podcast listening showed sharp gains on both a monthly basis (17% to 21%) and weekly (10% to 13%). Those who consume podcasts on a weekly basis listened to an average of five podcasts per week.
• In-home Ownership of Over-The-Air Radio receivers has dropped, with 79% of respondents saying they have a radio at home. That number was 96% in 2008. Among 18-34-year-olds, that number is down from 94% to 68% over the same time period.
• PANDORA remains the most-known online audio brand with 82% awareness, followed by the retooled APPLE MUSIC (67%), iHEARTRADIO (65%), and SPOTIFY (52%). For listening in the past week, PANDORA (32%) has a large advantage over SPOTIFY (13%), but SPOTIFY has narrowed that gap over 2015. Among 12-24s, 43% listened to PANDORA last month and 30% listened to SPOTIFY.
• SPOTIFY also posted a gain as “Audio Brand Used Most Often,” up 10% to 14%; however, PANDORA leads strongly with 48%.
• Broadcast radio is tied for the lead among all sources used for keeping up-to-date with new music. “AM/FM Radio” is used for that purpose by 68% of respondents, the same number that rely on “friends and family.” YOUTUBE is next with 66%. Among 12-24s, however, broadcast radio falls to third (58%), behind YOUTUBE (86%) and friends/family (74%). Smartphone ownership has increased from 71% to 76% of all respondents. Among 12-24-year-olds, smartphone ownership rose to 93%, while even respondents age 55 and older cracked the “more than half” barrier, up 45 to 51%
• On demand video-subscriptions are at 51% of the population; 43% of all respondents subscribe to NETFLIX.
• FACEBOOK remains the most-used social media brand among all-ages with 64%. But among 12-24s, it has been overtaken by SNAPCHAT (72% to 68%) with INSTAGRAM close behind (66%).
“Media consumption is showing signs of being dramatically changed by both technology and by new paradigms,” EDISON VP/Strategy TOM WEBSTER said. “Mobile’s increasing utility as ‘the first screen,’ as well as the rise of alternative content forms, such as podcasts and ‘bingeable’ content from on-demand video services is subverting the myth that our attention spans are shorter.“
“The INFINITE DIAL remains an important yardstick for media consumption and the 2016 edition does not disappoint”, TRITON DIGITAL Pres./Market Development JOHN ROSSO said. “As online radio joins smartphones and social media as truly mainstream, mass market activities, we are sure to see some interesting data emerge from this study.”
The complete INFINITE DIAL 2016 Study can be downloaded here.