RTDNF Holds 2016 First Amendment Awards Dinner
March 17, 2016 at 3:46 AM (PT)
The RADIO TELEVISION DIGITAL NEWS FOUNDATION held its 26th Annual First Amendment Awards Dinner WEDNESDAY night in WASHINGTON, hosted by ABC NEWS' PIERRE THOMAS.
"The Constitution enshrines freedom of the press in the First Amendment, but it takes exceptional people to make that promise live and breathe," said RTDNF Chair AMY TARDIF. "We're proud to recognize those who have demonstrated a commitment to defending the rights of journalists."
"Our honorees have set a high bar," added RTDNF Exec. Dir. MIKE CAVENDER. "The money raised at tonight's event will grow our work in support of the First Amendment and help a new generation of journalism students enter our profession, looking up to outstanding role models like these."
Honored at the event:
- First Amendment Award: JASON REZAIAN, WASHINGTON POST, who was held captive in IRAN from JULY 22nd, 2014 to JANUARY 16th, 2016.
- LEONARD ZEIDENBERG First Amendment Award: CAMI MCCORMICK, CBS NEWS, wounded while embedded in AFGHANISTAN in 2009 and after a long, difficult recovery has returned to her reporting duties.
- First Amendment Service Award: ROBERT GARCIA, NATIONAL PUBLIC RADIO
- First Amendment Leadership Award: RICH BOEHNE, E.W. SCRIPPS COMPANY
- First Amendment Defender Award: TIM TAI, UNIVERSITY OF MISSOURI, the student reporter who was threatened with violence by a faculty member while trying to cover student protests last FALL.
- RTDNF Lifetime Achievement Award: TOM BROKAW, NBC NEWS
The ceremony also included a tribute to slain WDBJ-TV/ROANOKE journalists ALISON PARKER and ADAM WARD.