The Best April Fool's Day Stunts ... And The Ones That Worked
April 4, 2016 at 5:10 PM (PT)
Well, APRIL FOOL'S DAY has come and gone, without anyone being worse for wear, outside of the GOOGLE's MicDrop option and whoever at YAHOO NEWS who reported that TRADER JOE's was closing at the end of the year. No such complications at radio, to the general contentment of station management nationwide.
However, that didnt' stop selected radio stations from going out on a en entertaining proverbial limb. CPR bon vivant and man-about-town PAIGE NIENABER cited some truly YUUUUGE! stunts that were good for more than a few chuckles.
* It was two days early, but TOBY and ELIZABETHANY at HOT 99.5/DC did a promotion called Catch It & Win It. All you had to do to get Family Four Packs of circus tickets was to catch a javelin. They sure as heck made sure the contestants signed the forms.
* HOT 93.5/SUDBURY announced that the station was bought by DONALD TRUMP. Somehow, that seemed to upset the overwhelming majority of the audience.
* HOT 100.5/NORFOLK played 85 songs an hour. Unfortunately few were able to listen that fast.
* WROR/BOSTON promoted a new state law that outlawed ownership of more than two dogs. "What a completely irresponsible and dangerous joke on the part of WROR," a less-than-festive person said. "My sister in Massachusetts sent me the link at first thinking it was real. Someone had sent it to her. There are so many gullible people out there and if this dangerous joke results in a single pet's life being turned upside-down then shame on you!"
* WCPR/BILOXI touted the grand opening of ELEPHANT WORLD -- which featured, among other things, Running Of The Elephants, Elephant Look-Alike Contest and an Elephant Parachute Team -- that attracted TV coverage.
* Y-94/FARGO was advertising reconstructive surgery for children, because no one should have to settle for an ugly child.
* Q-98/FAYETTEVILLE promoted a client that sold leg extensions.
* The KLUC/LAS VEGAS Morning Zoo covered the draining of LAKE MEAD.
* KS95/TWIN CITIES morning show host Fish "accidentally" left the mic on during a song and was giving his credit card info and social security number to someone on his mobile phone in the background.
* MIX 94.9/CINCINNATI ran a fake spot in every stopset all day, including one for SIX FLAGS UNDER CINCINNATI.
* HOT 104.5/KNOXVILLE debuted an all-Twerk format. Reviews were mixed.