Showtime At Apple: iPhone 7s, New Watch, New Games ... And No Headphone Jack
September 7, 2016 at 10:56 AM (PT)
TIM COOK took the stage at the latest APPLE product showcase at the MOSCONE CENTER in SAN FRANCISCO earlier today, where the big news is the introduction of the iPHONE 7 and 7 Plus, the latest iteration of the popular mobile device. The new model features new finishes, a better camera and a slightly better screen, or as some pundits have dubbed it, "the 6S Series 2, if you will."
Hit The Road ... With No Jack
Probably the biggest major change on the new iPHONES is the lack of a headphone jack -- and the debut of AirPods, wireless earplugs that are rechargeable. A new APPLE W1 chip makes the audio and wireless connection. Infrared sensors detect when they're in your ear. Motion accelerometers detect touch to activate Siri. The Battery and charger built into the AirPod case. (APPLE also offers a free dongle to connect headphones to the phone.)
Other iPHONE features include:
* Two 12-megapixel cameras are in the Plus — a wide-angle and a telephoto with 2x optical zoom and up to 10x with software zoom
* A new 12mp sensor that's 60% faster and 30% more energy efficient.
* The new models boast stereo speakers -- one at the bottom, the other at the top -- that offers twice the volume as the 6S, with increased dynamic range.
* They're 120x faster than the original iPHONE.
* Now has the longest battery life ever — two more hours on regular 7 than last year's model.
* iPHONE storage doubles on all tiers.
* They're water and dust resistant.
* The come in jet black, gold, silver and rose gold.
iPHONE preorders start SEPTEMBER 9th and it ships SEPTEMBER 16th. The 7 Plus starts at 769, 32GB to 256GB. iPHONE 7 starts at 649, starts at 32GB and goes to 256GB. AirPods ship late OCTOBER and will cost $159. The iOS 10 will be available on SEPTEMBER 13th.
New Games And Watches
COOK started the presentation off by noting that the popular MARIO BROS. videogame will be available on iOS by the end of the year and a new APPLE WATCH Series 2 will be faster, brighter and water-resistant -- and with the POKEMON GO game.
The new watch version is water resistant up to 50 meters, which enables the user to wear it while swimming, has a built-in GPS, a much brighter display and more fitness tracking options. It also has WatchOS 3 features such as Scribble-to-write, stickers, activity sharing, an activity watch face, and a SOS shortcut mode.
The APPLE WATCH Series 2 comes in aluminum, stainless steel, and ceramic, which is white. There is also a designer Hermes Series 2 line, and a new NIKE partnership on The APPLE WATCH NIKE.