Busta Rhymes Plea Deal Offer Withdrawn
March 26, 2007 at 9:38 AM (PT)
THE NEW YORK POST reports BUSTA RHYMES will face trial on two assault charges after a judge withdrew a plea offer that would have let the rapper remain free.
MANHATTAN Criminal Court Judge TANYA KENNEDY withdrew the offer that included probation, community service and a series of lectures to troubled youth. She cited his recent arrest for driving with a suspended license as the reason.
"The court's offer is off the table," KENNEDY told RHYMES.
His attorneys declined to comment as they left court.
RHYMES' attorney, ROBERT KALINA, has said previously that RHYMES had been prepared to accept the deal.
After the judge withdrew her plea offer, the 34-year-old rapper rejected a follow-up offer by the prosecution of one year in jail for each of two counts of assault -- to run concurrently -- and a $500 fine for the suspended license charge, and will go to trial instead.