-
WFLY Throws Prom For Girl Banned From Her School Event
May 16, 2007 at 9:10 AM (PT)
What do you think? Add your comment below. -
ALBANY BROADCASTING Top 40 WFLY (FLY 92.3)/ALBANY, NY morning co-host JIM CLARK tells ALL ACCESS about a story that's grown beyond the immediate area. A local girl wanted her boyfriend to take her to the prom. But with it just two weeks away, her school said no. The reason is that he's too old.
Explains JIM, "We became aware of the story last week when KAITLYN TEDESCO's mom, LINDA, called us. She told us that 11 days before the event the school told her that KAITLYN and her 26-year-old boyfriend, SHAUN, a military vet and two-time purple heart recipient who almost lost his life in IRAQ, would not be allowed at the prom. They had spent thousands of dollars getting ready for the prom. We talked with the MOHANASON School District to see if we could broker some way of allowing SHAUN to go to the prom. The school said they had to stand by their rules. We respected that and came up with our own solution. We decided that we were going to throw KAITLYN and SHAUN their own prom in her backyard. We told them we were going to try to put it together after we got off the air. It didn't take that long. Our phones were jammed. Listeners have offered their services. A tent company, jewelry company, DJ company, hair and makeup people all called in and offerd their services to help make KAITLYN's prom the best it could be. We even had listeners donate money, including one who will send them to a formal dinner the night of their original prom. It's like 'Extreme Home Makeover' for the prom."
A local TV station has picked up the story, which you can view here.

