L.A. Times Apologizes For Combs/Tupac Story
March 27, 2008 at 5:45 AM (PT)
THE LOS ANGELES TIMES has apologized for claiming rap mogul SEAN "DIDDY" COMBS was involved in a 1994 shooting of hip-hop star TUPAC SHAKUR. The apology follows a claim that the newspaper was conned by a prisoner who doctored the documents used.
"The bottom line is that the documents we relied on should not have been used," said editor RUSS STANTON.
COMBS has already called the report "completely untrue" and "a lie." Writer CHUCK PHILIPS said he "got duped."
Two years after the attack in NEW YORK, SHAKUR died in a separate shooting incident in LAS VEGAS. THE L.A. TIMES, which published the original story on its website, initially said its claims were based on FBI records, witness accounts and other unnamed sources. STANTON launched an investigation following claims published earlier this week on THE SMOKING GUN website.
"We apologize to both our readers and to those referenced in the documents and in the story," he said.
COMBS said earlier this week that the allegations were "beyond ridiculous." "I am shocked that THE LOS ANGELES TIMES would be so irresponsible as to publish such a baseless and completely untrue story," he added. He called the story a "libelous piece of garbage", adding, "In the past 14 years, I have not even been questioned by law enforcement with regard to the assault of TUPAC SHAKUR, let alone brought up on charges.
"I simply ask for all rap fans and fans of TUPAC to analyze this fiction for what it is."