Judge Rules In Favor Of Steve & Vikki
May 2, 2008 at 1:06 PM (PT)
Last week, LINCOLN FINANCIAL Top 40/Mainstream WSTR (STAR 94) filed suit against former morning duo STEVE MCCOY and VIKKI LOCKE for breach of contract (NET NEWS 4/23). The action was in response to TV spots the two have done for their future employer COX AC WSB-F (B98.5). STEVE & VICKY start there on JULY 1st.
On TUESDAY, FULTON COUNTY Superior Court judge ALFRED DEMPSEY ruled that those B98.5 TV spots featuring STEVE & VIKKI can remain on the air and that they did not violate the terms of the pair's noncompete clause at STAR 94, their former employer, writes ACCESSATLANTA's THE BUZZ
STAR 94 GM MARK KANOV told the BUZZ on WEDNESDAY that he has no plans to pursue the lawsuit any further. "We are disappointed that the judge ruled on a technicality, a loophole, and not the intent of the agreement with STEVE and VIKKI," KANOV said. "STEVE and VIKKI did not honor what they previously agreed to."
COX RADIO President BOB NEIL, "I think the STAR 94 management just got a little too emotional about this. Things haven't gone well for their new morning show, so this lawsuit was a bit of a 'temper tantrum'. We think it was frivolous. We certainly wouldn't have run the TV spots without checking with our attorneys, and STEVE and VIKKI have been as meticulous in following their non-compete as anyone I've ever seen. They don't have a mean bone in their bodies. They just want to move on, and we're ready to get them on the air JULY 1st."
COX RADIO attorney JIM DEMETRY, who represented STEVE and VIKKI at TUESDAY's hearing, was satisfied with the ruling.
"STEVE and VIKKI were pleased but not surprised by the judge's decision," DEMETRY told BUZZ. "They look forward to returning to the airwaves on WSB-FM and reconnecting with their listeners."