R. Kelly Defense Team Rests Its Case
June 10, 2008 at 4:59 AM (PT)
After just two days and 12 witnesses, the defense rested MONDAY in the R. KELLY child pornography case, reports THE CHICAGO SUN TIMES. But the trial continues TODAY (6/10), with prosecutors planning to bring back their video expert to challenge KELLY's "mole defense."
The decision by KELLYs defense team means the jury won't hear from the singer -- or from the woman who prosecutors say appears on the sex videotape at the heart of the case. Now 23, she was 13 to 16 when KELLY recorded them having sex, prosecutors contend. She told a grand jury it isn't her on the tape. She was a possible defense witness.
Not calling her as a witness might backfire, said RICHARD KLING, a professor at CHICAGO-KENT COLLEGE OF LAW who isn't involved in the case. He thinks it might cause jurors "to speculate she had some inducement not to testify. I think, given [KELLY's] fame and fortune, it's more dangerous for him than it is for the prosecution" not to call her as a witness, KLING said.
Prosecutors said MONDAY they planned to recall to the witness stand GRANT FREDERICKS, who previously testified that the videotape showed a dark spot on the lower back of the man in the video. The spot "corresponds" with a mole on KELLY's back, FREDERICKS told jurors.