-
John Lennon Killer Denied Parole
August 13, 2008 at 5:28 AM (PT)
What do you think? Add your comment below. -
JOHN LENNON's killer was denied parole for a fifth time TUESDAY by a board that said he remains a threat to the public. MARK DAVID CHAPMAN will remain in NEW YORK's ATTICA CORRECTIONAL FACILITY for at least two more years for gunning down the former BEATLE nearly three decades ago on a MANHATTAN sidewalk.
CHAPMAN, 53, has been in prison for 27 years since pleading guilty to the murder, which he has said he committed to gain attention. He became eligible for parole in 2000 after serving 20 years of a maximum life sentence.
In a one-page decision issued after CHAPMAN's appearance TUESDAY, parole board members said they denied his parole "due to concern for the public safety and welfare."
YOKO ONO, who has previously written the parole board arguing against CHAPMAN's release, did not offer any testimony in his latest hearing. "She was very pleased at the division of parole's decision," said her lawyer, PETER SHUKAT. He declined to comment further.
CHAPMAN's next appearance before the board is scheduled for AUGUST 2010.

