Guy Phillips Celebrates 30 Years In St. Louis Radio On Y98
March 19, 2009 at 6:08 AM (PT)
These days, it’s almost unheard of that someone spends 30 years on the same station in the same market. However, legendary morning show host GUY PHILLIPS does just that, and celebrates his 30th anniversary waking up ST. LOUIS with the PHILLIPS & COMPANY SHOW on CBS Hot AC KYKY (Y98) this month.
PHILLIPS has been on the FM radio dial position 98.1 since MARCH 1979. He's endorsed a long list of advertisers, executed thousands of promotions and played every funny jingle, but his legacy is best illustrated by what has happened since his first broadcast in 1979:
* THE KNACK’s "My Sharona" was the #1 hit.
* Three days after GUY’s first ST. LOUIS broadcast, PHILIPS demonstrated the new technology of the "compact disc (CD)" for the very first time.
* The year GUY began (1979) SADDAM HUSSEIN became President of IRAQ. GUY was on-air when SADDAM HUSSEIN was captured 12/03/2003.
* The first female Prime Minister, MARGARET THATCHER, was elected.
* The comic strip GARFIELD debuted. SONY introduced "The Walkman" and it cost $199.99!
* Gas was $0.86 a gallon for regular, but a barrel of gas hit a new record high of $26.
* There was cell phone service for the first time ever! Some phones cost more than $1,500!
* GUY came to ST. LOUIS three weeks when the first Space Shuttle "Columbia" was delivered.
* It was a time to escape at the movies! "Superman: The Movie," "Rocky II," "Alien," and "Star Trek: The Motion Picture" were playing in theatres.
* On television "All My Children," "The Price Is Right," "Family Feud," "The Young and the Restless" and "Saturday Night Live," were all popular -- and like GUY -- they still are!
"GUY’s longevity in morning drive on Y98 is a testament to not only his talent, but also what he does to give back to the ST. LOUIS community. And he’s having as much fun on the air now as he did 30 years ago!" said CBS/ST. LOUIS Market Manager JOHN SHEEHAN.
Interestingly, our own Pres./Publisher, JOEL DENVER, was the PD at then-Top 40 KSLQ (now KYKY Y98)/ST. LOUIS who hired GUY PHILLIPS and his former partner MIKE WALL!