Kornheiser Exits 'Monday Night Football'
May 18, 2009 at 8:15 AM (PT)
TONY KORNHEISER ended his radio show last year and recently told the ON THE DL podcast that he would not return to radio until his tenure with ESPN's MONDAY NIGHT FOOTBALL was over. ESPN announced the departure of KORNHEISER from the MNF booth TODAY, replaced by former TAMPA BAY BUCCANEERS and OAKLAND RAIDERS coach JON GRUDEN, raising the question of whether the ESPN "PARDON THE INTERRUPTION" host and former WASHINGTON POST columnist might try another round of radio. KORNHEISER most recently hosted at BONNEVILLE Talk WWWT-A-F (3WT)/WASHINGTON (formerly WTWP-A (WASHINGTON POST RADIO), now FEDERAL NEWS RADIO) and on XM SATELLITE RADIO. He previously hosted shows at WTEM-A/WASHINGTON and ESPN RADIO.
"I would like to thank TONY KORNHEISER for his many contributions to MONDAY NIGHT FOOTBALL the past three years," said ESPN EVP/Content JOHN SKIPPER. "He has been a big reason for the show’s success on ESPN. PARDON THE INTERRUPTION is one of ESPN’s most important franchises and fans will continue to see TONY on the show and involved in other future ESPN projects for many years to come."
KORNHEISER said, "I am totally grateful for the MNF opportunity that I truly enjoyed the last three seasons. I feel we got better each year. My fear of planes is legendary and sadly true. When I looked at the upcoming schedule it was the perfect storm that would've frequently moved me from the bus to the air. I kept looking at the schedule the past month and wanted to find a way to quietly extricate myself. If I could handpick a replacement of a football guy, I would cast a net and drag in JON GRUDEN. He is the two things you most want -- smart and funny -- and has the two things I don't -- good hair and a tan. I love PTI and am looking forward to continuing to yammer and yodel with WILBON until the end of time."