Madonna Stage Collapse Claims Second Victim
July 17, 2009 at 6:56 AM (PT)
A second person has died during construction for MADONNA's upcoming concerts in MARSEILLES, FRANCE, authorities said FRIDAY. CNN reports, "the second fatality was a 32-year-old BRITISH citizen, the BRITISH FOREIGN OFFICE and a high-ranking police official said. It was not clear whether the person was a man or woman, but the next of kin had been informed, the Foreign Office said.
"A 53-year-old FRENCH man was killed THURSDAY when a crane collapsed at the venue, a fire department spokesman in the southern FRENCH city said. A third person was in critical condition, said ALEXANDRE LANZALAVI, a spokesman for MARSEILLE HOSPITAL. Two other people were in hospital and required surgery, and seven others were treated and released, LANZALAVI said.
"MADONNA said THURSDAY that she was 'devastated' to hear about the death.
"My prayers go out to those who were injured and their families, along with my deepest sympathy to all those affected by this heartbreaking news," MADONNA said in a statement issued by her representative, LIZ ROSENBERG."