Exclusive September PPM Analysis
We Look At N.Y., L.A., Chicago And The Bay
October 12, 2009 at 4:28 AM (PT)
RADIOCRUNCH Principals KEVIN MCCABE and ANTHONY ACAMPORA take us through SEPTEMBER demographic results for NEW YORK, LOS ANGELES, CHICAGO and SAN FRANCISCO.
New York: Clear Channel Stays Dominant, Hot Wins 18-34 Again
* CLEAR CHANNEL's NEW YORK cluster remained the PPM winner with AC WLTW, Classic Rock WAXQ, Top 40 WHTZ (Z100), Rhythmic AC WKTU, and Urban WWPR (POWER 105).
* CLEAR CHANNEL had the Top 4 18-49 and four of the top five 25-54.
* WLTW was 1st 18-49 and 25-54.
* Z100 ranked 2nd 18-34 and 18-49 and 5th 25-54.
* WAXQ was 2nd 25-54, while WKTU ranked 4th 25-54 and 3rd 18-49
* POWER 105 ranked 3rd 18-34 and 6th 18-49.
* Classic Hits WCBS-F was the star of that cluster -- ranking 3rd 25-54.
* Sports WFAN-A was the only other CBS property top 10 25-54, ranking 10th.
* CBS Top 40 WXRK (92.3 NOW) ranked 9th 18-34, 14th 18-49, and tied for 16th 25-54 -- so still well behind Z100 in all areas.
* However, the launch of 92.3 NOW knocked Z100 down in share enough to propel EMMIS Rhythmic WQHT (HOT 97) into the top spot 18-34. HOT 97 was up in share yet again -- landing its third-best 18-34 share in PPM.
* EMMIS also saw good news in its Urban AC battle as WRKS rose from 10th to 7th, just two-tenths behind INNER CITY rival WBLS -- which ranked 6th.
* Triple A WRXP tied for 16th 25-54
* CBS AC WWFS ranked 14th 25-54 -- with less than half the share of rival WLTW.
* For the most part, recent launches in the BIG APPLE have not been met with open arms. WXRK, WWFS and WRXP continue to be out of the competitive demographic loop.
* Ironically, the most competitive of the launches the last few years -- CBS Adult Hits JACK-FM was discarded despite being top 10 25-54.
Los Angeles: KIIS Takes 18-49, 25-54; POWER Holds 18-34; KLOS Soars
* After a tough AUGUST, especially in the younger demos, CLEAR CHANNEL Top 40 KIIS retained the #1 spot 18-49 in LOS ANGELES, but also regained the #1 position 25-54. KIIS moved from 3rd to 2nd 18-34, beating CBS rival KAMP.
* A big month for CITADEL Classic Rock KLOS. Following a retooled music mix, KLOS surged from 12th to 3rd 25-54, pulling a full share from CBS Adult Hits KCBS-F (JACK) - which moved from 1st to 2nd.
* CLEAR CHANNEL had three of the top 5 25-54. AC KOST was 3rd and Hot AC KBIG was 5th.
* CBS Classic Hits KRTH scored bragging rights with the #1 12+ position among music stations, however, looking inside the money demos tells a much different story. While sister stations WCBS-FM/NEW YORK and WOGL/PHILADELPHIA were 25-54 monsters, KRTH only ranked 10th in that cell. As a matter of fact, KRTH saw three sister stations perform better 25-54: KCBS-FM, Alternative KROQ and KAMP.
* While CLEAR CHANNEL Talk KFI continued to be a big 6+ performer (ranking #1), a large percentage of their audience is over the age of 55. KFI ranks 13th in the 25-54 cell.
* Smooth AC format pioneer KTWV (THE WAVE) slipped to 17th place 25-54 -- its worst PPM performance to date.
* KROQ took control of L.A.'s Alternative battle from CLEAR CHANNEL's KYSR. KROQ opened up nearly a 2-1 share lead in most demos. KROQ was 3rd 18-34, tied for 4th 18-49 and 8th 25-54. Meanwhile, KYSR was 9th 18-34, tied for 17th 18-49, and slid to 20th 25-54.
* For a third straight month, EMMIS Rhythmic KPWR (POWER 106) was #1 18-34. POWER 106 was ranked 2nd 18-49.
* After beating KIIS in AUGUST, KAMP dropped to 4th 18-34. The upstart Top 40 ranked a solid #3 18-49. Top 40 and Rhythmic remain firmly entrenched in the younger demos.
* On the Spanish-language front, GROUPO RADIO CENTRO Spanish Contemporary KXOS is slowly growing, but has really put the hurt on UNIVISION. KXOS jumped to 18th 25-54, but is within striking distance of two UNIVISION perennial market leaders.
* UNIVISION Spanish Contemporary KLVE plummeted from 6th to 12th, falling out of the top 10 25-54 for the first time. Spanish Adult Hits KRCD (RECUERDO) ranked 16th 25-54.
* UNIVISION is losing the Regional Mexican battle. SBS Regional outlet KLAX was 7th 18-49 and tied for 6th 18-49. Meanwhile, UNIVISION's KSCA was 15th 18-49 and 25-54. LIBERMAN's KBUE was 11th 18-49 and 14th 25-54.
Chicago: US99, WOJO Take Demo Crowns; MEGA On A Roll
* For the first time, CBS Country WUSN (US99) took the 25-54 crown in CHICAGO. They unseatws BONNEVILLE Hot AC WTMX (THE MIX), which had held that position the last five months.
* WTMX tied for 2nd with sister Classic Rock WDRV (THE DRIVE) and UNIVISION Regional Mexican WOJO.
* Speaking of WOJO, it moved to the top spot with adults 18-34 and 18-49
* CLEAR CHANNEL Spanish Contemporary WNUA (MEGA 95.5) was up again in share 18-34, and ranked 5th in SEPTEMBER. They also jumped to 11th 18-49.
* CLEAR CHANNEL Top 40 WKSC reached a new share high 18-34, despite sliding from 1st to 2nd in rank. WKSC did move from 4th to 3rd 18-49.
* CBS Rhythmic WBBM-F (B96) was 4th 18-34 and 6th 18-49 -- keeping ahead of CLEAR CHANNEL Urban rival WGCI, which was 6th 18-34 and 8th 18-49.
* BONNEVILLE '80s-based AC WILV rose to 9th 25-54, putting it just ahead of CLEAR CHANNEL AC WLIT -- which returned to the top 10 25-54, tied for 10th place. CBS AC WWFS, which has begun an aggressive transition to Hot AC, ranked 23rd.
* CITADEL Classic Hits WLS-F (TRUE OLDIES 94.7) drops out of the top 10 -- sliding to 12th 25-54.
* Unlike LOS ANGELES, CHICAGO has an AM inside the top 10 25-54. CBS News WBBM-A ranked 7th 25-54.
* However, TRIBUNE Talk WGN may be #1 6+, but it is only 16th 25-54.
* While new Triple A sign-ons in NEW YORK and LOS ANGELES have been challenged, heritage CBS outlet WXRT continued to be a PPM winner in CHICAGO, ranking 6th 25-54.
* EMMIS saw mixed results in the WINDY CITY. Rock WLUP remained a steady performer, ranking 8th 25-54. However, Alternative WKQX remained really challenged, ranking 11th 18-34, 19th 18-49, and 24th 25-54.
San Francisco: KOIT, WILD, KSOL Share BAY AREA Demo Crowns
* ENTERCOM AC KOIT, CLEAR CHANNEL Rhythmic KYLD (WILD 94-9), and UNIVISION Regional Mexican KSOL (ESTEREO SOL) shared demo wins in SAN FRANCISCO in SEPTEMBER.
* UNIVISION Regional Mexican KSOL was #1 18-34 and #2 18-49 -- by far the market's leader.
* KOIT was the 25-54 champ for a fifth straight month. They also tied for 4th 18-49.
* Just like LOS ANGELES and CHICAGO, an AM outlet took the 6+ crown. And just like those markets, that station is very heavy 55+. CITADEL Talk KGO only ranked 15th 25-54.
* KYLD took over the top spot 18-49 for the first time, ranking 3rd 18-34.
* CBS Top 40 KMVQ moved up 18-49 and 25-54, but slid back 18-34. KMVQ was a solid 6th 18-49, rising from 14th to 11th 25-54. They ranked 5th 18-34.
* The BAY AREA loves its News, Talk and Sports. However, two of these stations have FM facilities. CBS News KCBS-A/KFRC-F ranked 2nd 25-54, tying for itshighest share yet.
* Meanwhile, CUMULUS Sports KNBR was 3rd and NORTHERN CALIFORNIA PUBLIC RADIO News/Talk KQED-F ranked 4th 25-54.
* CUMULUS saw Rock KSAN tie with Triple A sister KFOG for 6th place. KFOG had seen a steady decline since CLEAR CHANNEL launched Classic Hits/Classic Rock hybrid KKSF (THE BAND), but rose from 12th in AUGUST.
* Meanwhile, KKSF moved from 8th to 6th 25-54. They were 22nd with Smooth AC.
* The 25-54 Hot AC war remained tight with CLEAR CHANNEL's KIOI (STAR 101.3) 10th and CBS KLLC (ALICE) 11th. With 18-49, STAR was 7th and ALICE 11th.
* After placing in the top 10 for a few months, ENTERCOM Country KBWF (THE WOLF) has fallen on hard times, dropping to 19th 25-54 and 16th 18-49.
* CBS Alternative KITS ranked 9th 18-34, 17th 18-49, and 20th 25-54.