Katz And CC Sales Seeing Good Signs
December 18, 2009 at 4:46 AM (PT)
Maybe this is a good sign for radio in general, as KATZ MEDIA and CLEAR CHANNEL RADIO are both reporting "unmistakable increases in business." -- by any measure. CLEAR CHANNEL Dir./Sales wrote to the staff, "The news is exciting and straightforward -- significantly more business is being placed NOW than it was this time last year." He continued, "We have all been looking for the 'light at the end of the tunnel'. It appears to be closer than ever."
Some of the financial highlights include national spot ad sales:
* Up 13.2% year-over-year for DECEMBER. JANUARY's pacing up 17.4% year-over-year.
* Of the top 10 advertiser categories, four were up in NOVEMBER, eight in DECEMBER and eight are ahead for JANUARY... and automotive, telecom and consumer products are all up for all three months.
* Virtually all market sizes are up: For JANUARY, top 10 markets are up 21.8%; 11-25 markets are up 19.3%; and 51-75 markets are up 33.6%.
* BOB revenue has moved into positive territory -- up 3.4 points.
* Three weeks ago, DECEMBER 2009 was pacing at -3%. This week, DECEMBER is pacing at +1.4%. An almost 4.5 point gain in 3 weeks.
* JANUARY AMR pacing holding at +5.6% with BOB revenues up 5.5 points in the last three weeks.