Wilhite Talks About Sex Charges, Legal And Financial Woes
January 13, 2010 at 4:37 AM (PT)
WINGS COMMUNICATIONS Talk WELE-A/DAYTONA BEACH owner and host DOUG WILHITE spoke on the air and to the DAYTONA BEACH NEWS-JOURNAL about the legal and economic travails that have put him in the local headlines, saying that the sex charges he has been facing have pushed him to the brink of ruin and saying that he will be forced to leave the area.
WILHITE, a nudist who was acquitted of one set of charges late last year, faces 15 counts of lewd and lascivious behavior based on allegations from a 16-year-old boy, and told the newspaper that his life has been threatened over the charges. "I'm afraid of him," WILHITE said of the boy, who lived with WILHITE on and off for several years. "I'm taking self-defense classes." The boy was staying with WILHITE because the boy's mother was abusive, WILHITE said, but the boy's alleged violent tendencies caused WILHITE's wife and daughter to move out of the house. "If I could have saved him, it would have all been worth it," WILHITE told the paper. "I still love him."
WILHITE said that his sale of the station to host BIG JOHN's GOLIATH RADIO LLC for $35,000 and assumption of debt was necessary to pay his legal bills, and that the cases have damaged his reputation to the point where he and his wife will have to move away, most likely to HAITI or COSTA RICA.