Survey Shows Radio's Continued Strength
April 13, 2010 at 7:04 AM (PT)
Radio is still close to the top of a list of media used by Americans 12+. A recent ARBITRON/EDISON RESEARCH study finds TV as the favorite, used/owned by 98% of those surveyed. Radio is the only other media over 90%, with 92% polled saying they use and own a radio.
Cell phones had an 84% penetration, with broadband Internet at 64%, online radio at 53%, online video at 49% and social networking sites at 48%.
Other interesting findings from the study include:
* An estimated 70 million Americans listened to online radio in the past month alone
* More than one in four online radio listeners are "very interested" in listening on a device in their cars
* 41% of 12-24 year olds who own mobile phones say they would listen more to FM radio if a tuner were built into those phones
* Nearly three-quarters of monthly online radio listeners watched online video in past month
* Four in five would be disappointed if their favorite radio station was no longer on-air