iPad An iSmash
May 4, 2010 at 4:11 PM (PT)
APPLE announced that it has sold 1 million iPads in just 28 days. FRIDAY's launch of the iPAD Wi-Fi + 3G, pushed sales past the 1 million milestone; it took the iPHONE 74 days to get to that point.
"Demand continues to exceed supply and we're working hard to get this magical product into the hands of even more customers," APPLE CEO STEVE JOBS said in a statement.
According to SFGATECOM, PIPER JAFFRAY analyst GENE MUNSTER estimated that APPLE sold about as many units of the 3G over the weekend -- 300,000 -- as APPLE sold in the first day of sales on APRIL 3rd. He found out that the 3G unit was sold out in 49 of 50 stores he checked, which prompted him to estimate that long term, 3G units will make up about 40% of all sales while Wi-Fi units will make up the remaining 60%.
MUNSTER called his 1.3 million unit forecast for the JUNE quarter as conservative, but the uncertainty surrounding international launches and supply constraints prompts him to leave his estimate unchanged for now.
APPLE said iPAD users have downloaded more than 12 million apps and 1.5 million books on the iPAD. The App Store has 200,000 apps now, with 5,000 iPAD-specific apps.