Radar 105: More Than 239 Million Listen To Radio Every Week
June 15, 2010 at 9:03 AM (PT)
Radio reaches more than 239 million persons aged 12 and older over the course of a typical week, according to the RADAR 105 National Radio Listening Report, which releases MONDAY, JUNE 21st. Since the DECEMBER 2007 RADAR 95 report, the RADAR national radio listening estimates and network radio audience reports have been based on the PORTABLE PEOPLE METER respondents from markets where ARBITRON has commercialized the PPM ratings service and on diary respondents from the balance of the UNITED STATES.
Over the course of a typical week, nearly 220 million persons aged 12 and older tune to more than 7,200 RADAR Network Affiliated stations, up from 213 million listeners one year ago in RADAR 101.
Despite the adoption of MP3 players and the growth of mobile and Internet-only stations, radio reaches 93.1% of persons aged 12+ each week. Even 91% of the youngest radio audience, teens aged 12-17, who are most accustomed to using new technologies and forms of media, continue to tune in each week.
Network radio reaches 87% of Adults aged 18-34 who are ad elusive and media multi-taskers, up from 85% from one year ago.
The diversity of formats in radio attracts advertiser-coveted demographics in both Black Non-Hispanic and Hispanic persons.
* More than 93% of Black Non-Hispanic persons and 95% of Hispanic persons, aged 12 and older tune into radio over the course of a week.
* Radio reaches more than 94% of both Black Non-Hispanic persons and 96% of Hispanic persons aged 18-49 over the course of a week.
* Network-affiliated stations reach 90% of Black Non-Hispanic persons and 86% of Hispanic persons, aged 12 and older.
Radio Reaches The Educated And Affluent
* Radio reaches 96% of college graduates aged 25-54. 96% of adults aged 25-54 with a college degree and an annual income of $50,000 or more tune into radio over the course of a week.
* Network affiliated stations reach 88% of college graduates aged 18-49 with a household income of $75,000 or more. All radio stations reach 96% of this age group.
On MONDAY, JUNE 21st, ARBITRON will release the complete RADAR 105 Radio Network Audience Report results. RADAR, the standard currency for national network radio ratings, measures 51 individual radio networks. These networks are operated by AMERICAN URBAN RADIO NETWORKS, CITADEL MEDIA NETWORKS, CRYSTAL MEDIA NETWORKS, DIAL GLOBAL INC., PREMIERE RADIO NETWORKS, UNITED STATIONS RADIO NETWORKS and WESTWOOD ONE RADIO NETWORKS.