Former WGN Hosts Object To Description Of Their Departure
June 24, 2010 at 4:36 AM (PT)
Former TRIBUNE Talk WGN-A/CHICAGO longtime midday hosts JUDY MARKEY and KATHY O'MALLEY are objecting to comments made by PD KEVIN METHENY about their MAY 2009 departure from the station.
VOCALO.ORG's ROBERT FEDER reports that METHENY, taking listener calls on GARRY MEIER's afternoon show TUESDAY (6/22), told a listener upset over MARKEY and O'MALLEY's departure, "You may want to get that straight. What they did was retire. They retired of their own volition. They gave us that notification, and then at that point, after they decided they didn't want to continue any longer, we did control the timing of it, but we didn't show them the door unceremoniously and, as I've often been accused of, we didn't give them the word that morning ... That was actually how they chose to portray it. They knew quite a while in advance actually, and the manner in which you learned it -- and the timing at which you learned it -- was not WGN's decision."
MARKEY and O'MALLEY issued a response stating, "Yesterday, KEVIN METHENY said on the GARRY MEIER Show that it was our choice to leave our show and WGN in MAY of 2009. It was not our choice, and we want that to be clear. Over 20 years on the air, we established a bond of trust with our radio girlfriends who we all valued. We never lied to them about the circumstances of our leaving, and we're just tired of hearing that it was our idea. It wasn't."
O'MALLEY told FEDER, "WGN chose to end our show. WGN chose the date that it would end. And WGN told us we could not say anything to anybody about the show being canceled until MAY 22nd -- the last day of our show." The duo said that they rejected a suggestion to treat their last week as a celebration and tribute.