Former WMMQ Morning Man Fights Non-Compete He Claims Is 'Destroying' His Ability To Earn A Living
March 2, 2011 at 4:13 AM (PT)
Late last year, ALL ACCESS reported CITADEL Classic Rock WMMQ/LANSING morning maven RICH MICHAELS had been fired (NET NEWS 12/16/2010). MICHAELS had been on the LANSING airwaves at one station or another for more than 20 years.
Now, MICHAELS is fighting back against his former employer, claiming "tThey are trying to bankrupt me and lock me out of work."
MICHAELS told ALL ACCESS, "I had no choice but to sign one of those one-year non-competes, against my better judgment. Now, I'm like kryptonite because nobody wants to engage litigation. And it isn't as easy as driving 60 miles away to another market because CITADEL has locked up much of MICHIGAN."
He has taken his fight to the web, posting a long explanation of "Why am I not on the air?" at www.richmichaels.com. On the site, he writes, "President MATT HANLON told my attorney that they, in effect, plan to destroy my ability to earn an income in my career of 30 years; to keep me off all airwaves for one year."
Said MICHAELS, "I am taking the fight out into the open. Warning all the employees what to expect. Contacting as many as I can in similar situations who just want to have a shot at the few jobs that are there. And to tell advertisers why I can’t be their spokesman on the radio."
ALL ACCESS has reached out to HANLON for a comment.