MMTC Endorses FCC's Future Of Media Report
June 9, 2011 at 3:46 PM (PT)
The MINORITY MEDIA AND TELECOMMUNICATIONS COUNCIL (MMTC) is commending the FCC for initiating the Future of Media Report that was released today. The group endorses the Report’s call to reverse the low level of diversity in media ownership and employment and the Report’s recognition that "greater minority ownership of media ... would allow for more balanced depictions" of minorities. MMTC also joins the Report in expressing concern that the already low levels of minority ownership in traditional media are declining.
The Report also recommends:
* That Congress reinstate the tax certificate policy, whereby companies selling media and
telecommunications properties to minorities could defer capital gains tax on the sale -- a
policy that quintupled minority broadcast ownership in 17 years.
* Exploring the potential to use TV Channels 5 and 6 to expand radio ownership opportunities to new small businesses, including minority- and women-owned businesses as MMTC has long recommended.
* Resolving long-outstanding confidentiality issues to restore EEO personnel reporting,
which would provide reliable, transparent data on minority and women’s participation in
the media industries.
* Terminating the localism proceeding and avoiding rules that would impose a substantial
burden or divert critical resources away from newsgathering.
* Encouraging foundation efforts to assist historically Black colleges and universities’