It's Coming: Interviews With The Biggest Names In Radio Broadcasting
September 1, 2015
Last Spring, All Access and A&R Worldwide teamed up to produce the fifth annual Worldwide Radio Summit in Hollywood. As usual, the event was a rousing success, gathering the radio broadcasting industry's biggest names into one place.
I talked All Access' President and Co-founder, Joel Denver, into allowing me to do something that All Access has never done before: produce a podcast. I went backstage at the conference to interview a cross-section of industry heavyweights.
Next week, we'll start releasing these as a podcast series. You'll hear a new interview each week, including conversations with:
- Syndicated morning show host Bubba the Love Sponge
- Rick Cummings, President of Programming at Emmis
- Jeff Dauler, Producer and Co-host of The Bert Show
- Rob Goldklang, Senior VP of Alternative Promotion at Warner Brothers
- Lori Lewis, VP of Social Media at Cumulus
- Fred Jacobs, CEO and Founder of Jacobs Media
- Warren Kurtzman, President and COO of Coleman Insights
- Jon Miller, VP of Audience Insights at Nielsen
- Norm Pattiz, CEO andFounder or PodcastOne
- Ryan Wilde, Music Director of Alternative/Indie at AOL Radio and OM/PD at WZSR and WFXF, Chicago
We'll launch this podcast series with my interview with Jeff Smulyan, the CEO of Emmis Communications. Our far-reaching conversation covered everything from the launch of the nation's first sports station (WFAN in New York City), to the departure of Big Boy from Power 106 in Los Angeles, to his mission to save radio with the NextRadio App.
Whether you're a newbie or a 30-year veteran, I think you'll enjoy these behind-the-scenes conversations.
A Look at How Its Made
As an added bonus, for broadcasters who want to learn more about podcasting, I'll be using this column to show you how I'm putting it all together. You'll see how I upload the files to a hosting service, configure the ID3 tags, submit it to iTunes, and more. Stay tuned.
NEXT STEP: If you have an iOS device, it came with the Podcasts app already installed. If you have an Android device, download a "podcatcher" app so that you can listen to podcasts. Some popular ones include BeyondPod, Pocket Casts, and Doggcatcher.