2015 Worldwide Radio Summit Backstage Podcast: Interview With Jon Miller, VP Of Audience Insights At Nielsen
October 13, 2015
At the 2015 Worldwide Radio Summit last spring, I sat down with Jon Miller, Vice President of Audience Insights at Nielsen. You can now listen to the interview as the sixth episode of our podcast series featuring leaders in the radio broadcasting industry, including air talent, executives, record label representatives, and more.
The Worldwide Radio Summit is a multi-day conference, hosted by All Access and A&R Worldwide, where radio broadcasters and music industry executives get together to exchange ideas. (You can find details on the 2016 conference here.)
Subscribe to the Podcast:
You can also listen to the podcast through the All Access mobile app (built by jacapps):
Episode #6: Jon Miller, VP of Audience Insights at Nielsen
Jon Miller is a Vice President, Audience Insights at Nielsen and oversees the entirety of Nielsen's interactions, insights and tools designed for radio programmers and content creators. He's been with Nielsen for more than a decade working with both radio and local TV clients, and worked in the trenches during the PPM rollout in the late 2000s when he was embedded with one of the industries' largest broadcasters on behalf of what was then Arbitron.
Here's what we talked about:
- The impact of the Portable People Meter on radio ratings
- How the Country music format has cooled off, while sports radio is seeing incredible growth
- The new Nielsen SDK technology that will augment panel measurement
- Whether services like Pandora and Spotify will be measured by Nielsen
- The impact of cord-cutting on the television industry, and what it means for radio
- How day-to-day life at Arbitron changed when the company was acquired by Nielsen
- Nielsen's ability to measure ROI for advertisers
- In 2014, Nielsen had some ratings issues in Los Angeles
- I wrote a column comparing Nielsen ratings to Google Analytics
- The NextRadio app could be measured by PPM or Nielsen's SDK
- Whether or not podcasts are generating Nielsen ratings
Next week, hear my interview with Ryan Wilde, Music Director of Alternative/Indie at AOL Radio and OM/PD at WZSR and WFXF, Chicago.
Special thanks to my producer, James Clausen.
NEXT STEP: Subscribe to this podcast in iTunes. While you're there, please leave a review.