2015 Worldwide Radio Summit Backstage Podcast: Interview With Rick Cummings, President Of Radio Programming At Emmis Communications
November 10, 2015
At the 2015 Worldwide Radio Summit last Spring, I sat down with Rick Cummings, the President of Radio Programming at Emmis Communications. You can now listen to the interview as the ninth episode of our podcast series featuring leaders in the radio broadcasting industry, including air talent, executives, record label representatives, and more.
The Worldwide Radio Summit is a multi-day conference, hosted by All Access and A&R Worldwide, where radio broadcasters and music industry executives get together to exchange ideas. (You can find details on the 2016 conference here.)
Subscribe to the Podcast:
You can also listen to the podcast through the All Access mobile app (built by jacapps):
Episode #9: Rick Cummings, President of Radio Programming at Emmis Communications
Rick Cummings has been at Emmis Communications for over three decades. Today, he is the company's President of Radio Programming.
Here's what we talked about:
- Funkmaster Flex of Hot 97 in New York City designed a Ford car
- The Cruz Show at Power 106 in Los Angeles is encouraged to create web-only content
- Radio slept through the smartphone; it can't sleep through the auto center stack or it's dead.
- The NextRadio App and the Nielsen SDK may give radio data collection abilities so it can compete with internet advertising services
- Radio salespeople are asking for greater digital fluency
- Emmis programmers have digital goals in addition to ratings goals
- Emmis is experimenting with on-demand audio
- Emmis has been named a top place to work in Indiana
Special thanks to my producer, James Clausen.
NEXT STEP: Subscribe to this podcast in iTunes. While you're there, please leave a review.