Introduction: What We Did and How We Did It
March 12, 2012
Hundreds of studies.Â Thousands of questions.Â Millions of numbers.Â After 30 years in the business, the team at NuVoodoo should have all the answers.Â Fact is, the media world has changed -- and continues to change -- so radically, that an incredible amount of the stuff we learned and assumed over the years is wrong.Â After a foray into media-beyond-radio, we come back to radio with a few ideas and a whole lotta humble.
As we launched NuVoodoo Media Services, a 21st century research and marketing company, we thought we should literally put our money where our mouths were and conduct proprietary research to determine the lay of the radio land in the second decade of the not-so-new millennium.
Along with well-known competition from satellite, radio faces the widening of consumer audio options to include the infinite options of the internet â€“ even in the car.Â This means we must become more attuned to our consumers, increase our understanding of their needs and learn even more about them â€“ so that we may surprise and delight them with innovative programming.Â It's in this spirit that NuVoodoo Media Services completed a study of over 1,000 18-49 consumers across all PPM markets in 2011 before holiday music began taking over the dial.Â
- We asked questions about how they live their lives, how radio fits into their lives, how radio rates among other media.Â
- We looked at how much they trust radio to deliver entertainment vs. other products and services.Â
- We flat out asked them about participating in PPM (and yes, we found meter carriers).Â
- We learned about format preferences and satisfaction with the products being offered.
- We learned about their households, their politics, their attitudes.
- “Listening occasions” are all the buzz.Â How do self-reported occasions relate to those reported by PPM?Â
- How about the mornings?Â Is the product so many stations are delivering what the consumer needs to start the day?
- What benefits do we offer them?Â What benefits could we be offering them?
- How about the commercials we carry?Â Do the commercials we run drive behavior?
- The study included inquiries into many more benefits and resulted in many insights and a few surprises.
1,000 respondents.Â 45 markets.Â Many hundreds of datapoints.Â During the next 12 months, a member of NuVoodoo's research team will be serving up bite-sized portions of the results of this massive national study to help you manage your business and hopefully, offer up some actionable intelligence for radio in 2012.Â We look forward to sharing what we've learned, and hearing from you as we begin the process of building this year's research study.
We'll be sharing bits of this study via AllAccess.com on a weekly basis.Â To learn more about NuVoodoo's findings from this study, about all the actionable intelligence available to our clients, and how we can help you change the future, just write to TellMeMore@nuvoodoo.com.