10 Questions with ... Jonathan "JJ" Jaxson
October 4, 2011
BRIEF CAREER SYNOPSIS:
I've been on the radio as a regularly featured guest on shows such as "The Ace & TJ Show," "AJ's Morning Playhouse," "The Jackie & Bender Morning Show," "The Billy Bush Show" and others, along with a regular gig Jacksonville, FL's WFKS/KISS 97.9, where I dished the latest dirt in Hollyweird.
I'm also a former publicist to some of Hollywood's biggest, including Kim Kardashian, The Backstreet Boys, City High, Krystal, O'Town, Aiden Turner, Mya, Adrienne Lau, Chudney Ross and many others.
I have appeared in numerous magazines and on several national TV talk/entertainment/news programs. I was the features reporter for CBS 46's "Better Morning's Atlanta" and "Action News Jax" in Jacksonville, FL.
Presently, I'm staying busy job hunting while working back in public relations and organizing benefits for tornado ravaged victims across the U.S.
1) How are you occupying your time, besides looking for a job?
I eat, sleep and breathe radio ... literally! So to keep my creative mind busy in the meantime, I have been organizing benefits to help tornado ravaged cities with some celebrity friends. Most recently, I held a very successful benefit with friend LeAnn Rimes in Ponte Vedra Beach, FL, that made headlines around the world.
2) Do you plan on sticking with radio?
I often hear of others telling me to just give up for now and get a normal 9-5 job, but I just can't stomach it, honestly. I enjoy being broke and doing what I love more than making a $100k yearly salary just to have a good cash flow. I will NOT leave radio, I will die working back on-air or continuously job hunting.
3) What's the longest stretch you've had on the beach?
It seems I am on the beach quite frequently lately. The only thing stable in my career seems to be social media, writing or publicity work. Finding a gig where a program director desires someone who has a HUGE passion for radio, doing cross-over work in TV, making social media a focal point, and making entertainment headlines for the station, just seems impossible lately... I really don't get it!
4) What has been your best resource for finding out about job openings?
The best place to find the latest job openings in the radio business, HONESTLY, is www.allaccess.com under 'Job Postings.'
5) What's the craziest thing you've ever done to get a job?
Calling and calling and calling and then more calling to the program director in order to get them sooo tired of me they simply have to say "yes" or "no." Okay, maybe that isn't the craziest thing one has done, but it is the only one I will happily admit to.
6) What is the next job you'd like to obtain?
Ideally I would like to wake up a city on-air each weekday as part of a morning team, giving the station the headlines they deserve while interacting with the audience in ways many stations lack these days. AND of course dishing out the latest entertainment exclusives, that only I can get ahead of TMZ, Entertainment Tonight and others through my nice full rolodex.
7) What's the most unbelievable question you've ever been asked in an interview?
"Why would you want to move here and work for such a small station with lousy pay?" My answer was, "Because I love radio and it isn't about the money for me, as long as my bills are paid." AND of course I didn't get this job and many others because so many think "WHY HERE?"
8) With consolidation there are definitely fewer jobs. How do you separate yourself from the pack?
- I can win in the social media department, just ask Lori Lewis.
- My entertainment news, something nearly every listener enjoys hearing or reading, is often exclusive and makes headlines with the program I am on.
- I am very funny...Well, at least I continue to tell myself that.
- I work harder than most, and I come very affordable with a HUGE passion to succeed for my team and personally.
- AND, well, just hire me already. The beach has been nice, but I am ready to get back to work, anywhere in the country!
9) What has been your biggest career accomplishment?
I feel one of my biggest achievements was making Kim Kardashian turn from a known side-kick of Paris Hilton, to a "porn star," to one of the most talked about and followed celebrities in the world.
10) What do you miss most about music/radio? The least?
Mostly I miss being creative and staying #1 in everything I did. I love the people too, and I miss interacting with them daily. (I wouldn't survive without Twitter.) When you ask what I miss least, there is honestly NOTHING!!!
My favorite new diversion is ...
Staring at my phone waiting for someone to call me.