10 Questions with ... Dave Riggs
October 18, 2011
BRIEF CAREER SYNOPSIS:
I grew up in Tampa, Florida and have been all over getting my radio experience. I went to CSB here in Tampa and then became a Board Op at WTAN 1340 AM in Clearwater. From there I went to Perry, FL to host my first morning show on WNFK, Power Country 92.1. Shortly after making a stop in Perry I found myself on a brand new Country station in Elko, Nevada, doing live mornings and voicetracking a Rock station at night. Just before I ended up on the beach I was in Lake City, FL for three years at WQHL (Big 98) doing the afternoon-drive time slot.
1) How are you occupying your time, besides looking for a job?
Well, to be honest I gotta spend my time looking for a job. However I do try to DJ in bars and clubs whenever I can.
2) Do you plan on sticking with radio?
I wouldn't ever leave radio unless someone blew up every station in this world. I told my ex-wife that she was my second wife and the station was my first. Hmmmm ... maybe that is why she is my ex now.
3) What's the longest stretch you've had on the beach?
This is my first time being on the beach ... whenever I left a job I always had one to go to. So I guess six months is the longest, so far. Would anyone like to end that for me so it isn't seven months?
4) What has been your best resource for finding out about job openings?
All Access dot com is the best, however I also keep in touch with my old program directors and CSB here in Tampa.
5) What's the craziest thing you've ever done to get a job?
I wouldn't say it was crazy, but I just called over and over. I do have some ideas in my head so if I applied to your station watch out. :)
6) What is the next job you'd like to obtain?
Umm ... duh ... radio! Any daypart is fine with me. I have done mornings and afternoons already.
7) What has been your biggest career accomplishment?
I would have to say that I was doing a morning show on a brand new station as my second job ever in radio. Yes, it was a small market; however not many jocks can say they started doing a morning show right out of school.
8) Is there anything specific that you regret doing while you were still working?
LOL! Yes, but we need not to go there ... let's just say we need to keep good quality communication between departments.
9) If you were offered a similar position to what you were doing for considerably less money, would you seriously consider taking the job just to stay in the biz?
Hard question right there. It all depends on where the job is and how hungry I am. Right now, yes I would, 'cause buttered noodles, toast and Kool Aid only goes so far.
10) Having been through all you have dealt with in this biz, what advice would you give people trying to break in?
If you're getting into this biz for the money and a job that you could be at for many years ... RUN LIKE HELL! I got in to this biz because I love it. Trust me ... I didn't do it for the money.
My favorite new diversion is...
...watching my phone and e-mail for that job offer!