10 Questions with ... Jesse James
May 29, 2012
BRIEF CAREER SYNOPSIS:
I was a top-rated (PPM, in every major demo) morning show host in San Antonio for the last two years! I had the opportunity to do a morning show for CBS in Denver for four years before that. Unfortunately, CBS sold the cluster. I did two live shows a day in Wisconsin (mornings, afternoons) for seven years, rated #1 in four markets! I did the night show at WMIL/Milwaukee for three years, and brought the night show up to #1. I also hosted the Z Morning Zoo at Z-104 in Madison.
1) What do you do to maintain a positive mental attitude and stay motivated?
I keep up with social media! I follow all the hot topics and keep my followers engaged.
2) How are you occupying your time, besides looking for a job?
I have been spending a ton of time with my family, going to my boy's practices and games ... I think they are definitely ready for me to go back to work! lol
3) Do you plan on sticking with radio?
Yes! I believe radio is the most effective media! There is nothing like the connection you get with your listeners when you do an engaging show. They become your second family. When things happen in my life, out of the studio, my first thought is "I'm going on the air with this!" You immediately start to think of the best ways to "blow it up" on the air. It's just a way of life for me, I guess.
4) What's the longest stretch you've had on the beach?
This is it! Three months and counting ... tick ... tick ... tick...
5) What is the next job you'd like to obtain?
I would love to do a talk show! But I am not limiting myself to that ... any contemporary format that allows you to entertain and connect with the listeners.
6) What's the most unbelievable question you've ever been asked in an interview?
I was asked "what don't we know about you right now ... that we'll know about you in six months?" That was the best question I think I've ever been asked! Hard to answer! LOL ... I've used it myself a couple times since.
7) With consolidation there are definitely fewer jobs. How do you separate yourself from the pack?
I hope my previous work does that! I hope the audio/video I have does that. I'm kind of banking on it! LOL ... I try to stay very active with social networking. I built a website, jessejamesradio.com, and I'm definitely trying to stay in front of people!
8) What do you miss most about music/radio? The least?
I miss the everyday excitement! I miss the laughing on the show, the conflict in the topics at times, and most of all, the listener engagement. Right now, there is nothing I miss the least ... I miss it all!
9) Is there anything specific that you regret doing while you were still working?
I think we all regret things in our past. I have plenty I regret, but really all you can do is move forward as a better person, and a better entertainer!
10) If you were offered a similar position to what you were doing for considerably less money, would you seriously consider taking the job just to stay in the biz?
I'll deal with that when I get to it.
What's your handicap now that you've had time to practice?
I have actually played some more golf ... that just means I'm losing more balls ... my handicap is my game!