10 Questions with ... Jerry Mac
August 7, 2012
BRIEF CAREER SYNOPSIS:
Been in radio longer than I care to remember ... been programming for the most part since 1994 ... mostly Top 40 and Hot AC ...WAKZ and WMXY in Youngstown, WHBC in Canton, and was OM for Next Media in Wilmington, NC.
1) What do you do to maintain a positive mental attitude and stay motivated?
Honestly, as time passes, it becomes harder and harder to do that ... both because of not finding the right opportunity, and because of the way the industry continues to change.
2) How are you occupying your time, besides looking for a job?
I have three kids, two in school. They keep me motivated, and very busy!
3) Do you plan on sticking with radio?
That's why I am doing this -- absolutely. It's what I love doing ... it's all I know.
4) What has been your best resource for finding out about job openings?
All Access is my first stop every morning.
5) What's the longest stretch you've had on the beach?
This is it!
6) What is the next job you'd like to obtain?
If I had my choice, I would love to be an OM again, overseeing a cluster of stations, with possible programming duties with a Top 40 and/or Country station.
7) How are you finding the "courtesy level" at places you've applied? (Callbacks, emails, rejection letters, etc.)
Not great, but also understandable ... everyone is so much busier because they are all spread so thin. No one has enough time in the day to return every e-mail or call from an applicant.
8) Are you finding salaries/benefits lower than you ever thought, about the same, or have you seen some pleasant surprises?
I wouldn't say any pleasant surprises ... a little of each. Some have surprised me at how good they are, while others I was shocked at how low.
9) Are you able to slow down and enjoy free time doing things with your family and friends that you probably did not have time to do while you were working?
If there has been one benefit to this, that is it. I get to more events at school, and more soccer, basketball and football games than I would have.
10) What has been your biggest career accomplishment?
I guess there have been a few ... beating the heritage Top 40 here in Youngstown-- which hasn't happened since I quit programming it -- and the development of some of the young/new talent I worked with over the years.
My favorite new diversion is...
Criminal Minds ... LOL, I watch the reruns every day!