10 Questions with ... Jeff Elliott
April 2, 2013
BRIEF CAREER SYNOPSIS:
Most recent, WIRK/West Palm Beach, mornings from 2009-2013. Prior experience: CBS Dallas, KVIL middays/morning show fill-in, 2006-2009. Also, KDMX (Mix 102.9)/Dallas, mornings from 1999-2006.
1) How are you occupying your time, besides looking for a job?
I'm in West Palm Beach, so I've been spending time with my dog, Mr. Jack Levitt, on the beach!
2) Do you plan on sticking with radio?
YES! It's what I love to do. The thing I miss the most is the creative process. I love creating something from nothing. I've always worked hard to be a little different than the other guys. My hope is that when you listen to the other guys you'd say, "I wish I could do that," but when you listen to me, I'd hope you say, "I wish I would have thought of that."
3) What's the longest stretch you've had on the beach?
Currently, about 75 days.
4) What has been your best resource for finding out about job openings?
Of course, All Access! I'm lucky to have a great support group. When you're looking for work you have to have a plan. I try to never forget that being out of work is hard work.
5) What is the next job you'd like to obtain?
My first choice would be mornings. I've got 15-plus years there, but I'm also open to anything that makes sense.
6) How are you finding the "courtesy level" at places you've applied? (Callbacks, e-mails, rejection letters, etc.)
Personally, people have been very kind. I've had so many folks reach out after I sent them my stuff. I appreciate that.
7) What's the most unbelievable question you've ever been asked in an interview?
If I was gay! Not kidding! BTW, they hired me!
8) Are you spending as much time listening to radio as you used to?
Yes. I spend hours listening everyday. In a strange sort of way, I feel it keeps me fresh.
9) What has been your biggest career accomplishment?
Over the years I've raised millions of dollars for Children's Miracle Network, and I'm very proud of that. As far as my biggest accomplishment, I'm still writing that book ... check with me in 10 years.
10) What have you learned about yourself, others, or life in general in your downtime?
Don't spend time worrying! The universe has an energy that will lead you in the direction that's right for you. I'm excited about the future.
What's your favorite new diversion?
Trying to be caller 9.