10 Questions with ... Jeff Skudlark
July 16, 2013
BRIEF CAREER SYNOPSIS:
I have been a painter for 23 years. I have worked on-air very briefly at KBKG 93.5 FM. I am very eager and motivated to get my broadcast career started.
1) What do you do to maintain a positive mental attitude and stay motivated?
I stay focused on submitting resumes and airchecks. I know I was born to be in broadcasting; I've dreamed of it since childhood. And I have a never-quit personality and attitude.
2) Do you plan on sticking with radio?
I will NEVER quit radio!
3) What has been your best resource for finding out about job openings?
Michelle McConnell, American Broadcasting School
4) What's the craziest thing you've ever done to get a job?
Well, I told the GM at the Rock station 104.9 in my home town of Rockford, IL, that I was going to place myself on a billboard at the busiest intersection in the city, until they hire me! And I still plan to possibly go that route!
5) What is the next job you'd like to obtain?
Any on-air, board operator or general broadcasting job that will give me the chance to launch my career.
6) How are you finding the "courtesy level" at places you've applied? (Callbacks, e-mails, rejection letters, etc.)
Some are very quick to reply, but 85%, never acknowledge that they have received my material.
7) Are you finding salaries/benefits lower than you ever thought, about the same, or have you seen some pleasant surprises?
I have seen some pleasant surprises, but it seems to be about what I expected.
8) Are you spending as much time listening to radio as you used to?
More! And I listen non-stop.
9) Are you able to slow down and enjoy free time doing things with your family and friends that you probably did not have time to do while you were working?
My family is priority. I always make sure I have time to spend with my wife and kids.
10) If you were offered a similar position to what you were doing for considerably less money, would you seriously consider taking the job just to stay in the biz?
What's your handicap now that you've had time to practice?
I talk too much! lol