10 Questions with ... Ticker Lock
February 24, 2015
BRIEF CAREER SYNOPSIS:
With 12 years experience I've done everything from PD, on-air, copywriting, production, remotes, public station events, etc. I am versed quite well in just about all genres of music.
1) Some people get discouraged or enlightened with the business when they actually step out of it for a while. Tell us your observations from the outside.
Since I have been out I have noticed that a lot of local radio has gone satellite or voicetracked, and it's not updated or monitored by the respective employees ... I would say on the verge of laziness.
2) Do you plan on sticking with radio?
Most definitely. Since I was 14, I have been interested in radio and the careers it can provide. It is a dream of mine still, to own and operate a station the way it is supposed to be.
3) What's the best way to get your foot in the door?
Persistence. Start with the most menial position you can think of, but don't think it's beneath you.
4) What has been your best resource for finding out about job openings?
Instead of Googling every station, I use Allaccess.com as well as iHeartmedia.com.
5) What is the next job you'd like to obtain?
Full-time on-air with production and/or management would be nice as well.
6) How are you finding the "courtesy level" at places you've applied? (Callbacks, e-mails, rejection letters, etc.)
I understand that when you post a position opening that you are inundated with e-mails, but I have noticed a lack of courtesy. The applicants took the time to apply, at least take the time reply as well. We don't know if the email wound up in spam/bulk mail or if the position is filled.
7) With consolidation there are definitely fewer jobs. How do you separate yourself from the pack?
Experience and maturity. I don't need to be babysat. Coached along the way? Sure, I don't mind at all.
8) What do you miss most about music/radio?
Production and being on-air. The least? Working remotes on a Sunday evening.
9) If you were offered a similar position to what you were doing for considerably less money, would you seriously consider taking the job just to stay in the biz?
Yes I would.
10) Are you spending as much time listening to radio as you used to?
More than I used to.
Your favorite new diversion is...
Sony Vegas Movie Studio HD Platinum.