10 Questions with ... Hunter Quinn
May 26, 2015
BRIEF CAREER SYNOPSIS:
- KZZO/Sacramento APD/MD/nights
- WZEE/Madison PD/MD/afternoons
- WKSI/Winchester PD/MD/afternoons
- WHOT/Youngstown APD/MD/afternoons
1) What do you do to maintain a positive mental attitude and stay motivated?
Being victim of a budget was tough and a shock to the system, but so many people reaching out, suggesting gigs, asking how they can help definitely softened the blow.
2) How are you occupying your time, besides looking for a job?
Spending tons of time hanging with my daughter Lyla. I'm also exercising a bunch and attempting a little cooking, with very mediocre results so far!
3) What's the longest stretch you've had on the beach?
I spent a year looking for that next great gig. I was fortunate to find a station I really liked and a city my family and I really like.
4) What's the best way to get your foot in the door?
Have a mutual connection with the person hiring, someone who can put a bug in someone's ear. If you're simply applying through company websites or shooting off e-mail after e-mail, you're bound to get limited results.
5) What has been your best resource for finding out about job openings?
Right away, there were several e-mails from stations looking to hire. I'm on All Access every day, as well as company websites' career pages. Friends will reach out as well. Having an "in" is crucial to get a conversation going.
6) What is the next job you'd like to obtain?
I've been asked about everything from large/medium-market PD gigs to OM positions as well as positions that are mainly on-air. I love being involved in programming ... it's part of my radio DNA. I'm looking for my next job to be long-term. I'd love to find a solid job in a great city with a stable building.
7) Are you spending as much time listening to radio as you used to?
I've been busy streaming the stations I've applied to, taking notes, producing SWOT analyses and giving those interviewing me tons of reasons to hire me.
8) Is there anything specific that you regret doing while you were still working?
I regret not keeping airchecks at all times. I had a significant amount of audio to take with, but I wish I could have kept all the breaks I'm proud of.
9) If you were offered a similar position to what you were doing for considerably less money, would you seriously consider taking the job just to stay in the biz?
Right now, the most important thing at any job I'm interested in is stability. That's what brought me to Sacramento. I'll want to stay at my next job for a significant amount of time.
10) Where do you see yourself in five years? Ten years?
I want to be wherever my next job is. Buying a house is on my short-term wish list.
Any great movies that you've recently seen?
Some Tinker Bell movie. My daughter made me watch it three times last night. #facepalm