10 Questions with ... "Rex On The Radio" Rex McNeill
June 16, 2015
BRIEF CAREER SYNOPSIS:
It started a long time ago in a land far away. I started doing radio in my hometown of Chico, CA. Later I went to Sacramento, working at KWOD 106 and KHYL, and then San Francisco at KFRC and X100. In the last few years I did middays on KAT Country 103, then came to 105.1 KNCI. The Rex show at night was recently downsized to weekends. I'm looking for the next full-time gig.
1) What do you do to maintain a positive mental attitude and stay motivated?
I continue to emcee events and do weekends and network as much as possible.
2) How are you occupying your time, besides looking for a job?
Watching my son play soccer ... spending quality family time and working out.
3) Do you plan on sticking with radio?
Yes, if it will have me.
4) What's the best way to get your foot in the door?
Network and stay on top of the industry ... Read All Access.
5) What has been your best resource for finding out about job openings?
6) What is the next job you'd like to obtain?
I would like to keep it Country ... mornings, afternoons, nights ... call me, e-mail me, Twitter me, Facebook Me ... Instagram me ... was that too much?
7) With consolidation there are definitely fewer jobs. How do you separate yourself from the pack?
Social media and a fun show!
8) What has been your biggest career accomplishment?
Working in San Francisco and doing the night show at KNCI.
9) What have you learned about yourself, others, or life in general in your downtime?
Don't lose yourself. Stay confident.
10) If you were offered a similar position to what you were doing for considerably less money, would you seriously consider taking the job just to stay in the biz?
Call me right now ... Yes.
Any books you can recommend to people who need something inspirational to read?
I've been reading "The Zig Man." Zig Ziglar.