10 Questions with ... Gabe Salgado
July 7, 2015
BRIEF CAREER SYNOPSIS:
I have worked in media for the last 14 years, mostly in the Chicago market. Most of my experience has been with news/sports/talk formats. I've worked for WNWI-A, WJOB-A, My Sports Radio, WKRS-A, WBBM-A, WWWN, Rivet News Radio, and two previous stops at WVON. I've also worked in television and I've done some sports writing.
1) What do you do to maintain a positive mental attitude and stay motivated?
Knowing that I've worked hard enough and paid my dues leads me to believe that someone will notice my talents and hire me.
2) How are you occupying your time, besides looking for a job?
I'm working a full-time day job until I find a full-time media job.
3) Do you plan on sticking with radio?
4) What's the longest stretch you've had on the beach?
5) What has been your best resource for finding out about job openings?
6) What's the craziest thing you've ever done to get a job?
I once took a quiz as part of the application process for one of my previous radio jobs.
7) What is the next job you'd like to obtain?
I'm hoping to land another sports media position.
8) Are you spending as much time listening to radio as you used to?
I listen to radio quite frequently as it helps me keep up with the industry.
9) What has been your biggest career accomplishment?
Being able to cover sporting events. There's nothing like it.
10) Having been through all you have dealt with in this biz, what advice would you give people trying to break in?
This business is not for the weak of heart, or for those who get frustrated easily. You will deal with disappointments and frustration along the way.
Seen any great movies?
I really want to see the new Avengers movie.