10 Questions with ... Dan Thomas
September 22, 2015
BRIEF CAREER SYNOPSIS:
- Townsquare Media/Grand Junction, OM/BM/air talent
- Lotus Communications/KKBZ/Fresno, PD/PM Drive
- Anchorage Integrated Media, OM
- iHeartMedia/Anchorage, AE
- Entercom/Houston/KLDE, AT
- Morris Communications/K-Whale/Anchorage, PD
- Shamrock Communications/93Q FM/Milwaukee
1) What do you do to maintain a positive mental attitude and stay motivated?
I keep a daily routine, network, gym, family time.
2) How are you occupying your time, besides looking for a job?
I have become a gym rat at the 'Y.' I am also close to family right now and haven't seen most of them on a regular basis for over 20 years, so family time is at an all-time high.
3) Some people get discouraged or enlightened with the business when they actually step out of it for a while. Tell us your observations from the outside.
Discouraging at times and the response back you do and don't get. What surprises me is a high-ranking Corporate SVP/Programming guy I converse with who ALWAYS responds to my inquiries and questions. He oversees dozens (if not more) markets. While he hasn't hired me yet, I have nothing but respect for the way he handles people
4) Do you plan on sticking with radio?
Hopefully, but I have looked into places I can crossover to with my skill set.
5) What's the best way to get your foot in the door?
Either through networking with peers, or trying and set yourself apart from the rest, either through a creative cover letter or whatever it takes to make a positive impression
6) What has been your best resource for finding out about job openings?
All Access and media group websites.
7) What's the craziest thing you've ever done to get a job?
When I was in Houston, I got a simple request for a phone interview the following week. I drove across town for a remote by the PD, and then introduced myself. Could have gone either way, but I wanted to see the station in action and to show my interest.
8) What is the next job you'd like to obtain?
At this point, company culture, stability and a chance to grow are priorities in my life. I'd like to get back to working as an OM, brand manager or account executive.
9) How are you finding the "courtesy level" at places you've applied? (Callbacks, e-mails, rejection letters, etc.)
I get that managers are now wearing multiple hats and that their time is at an all-time premium. But at least for people who are qualified in this biz, a quick sentence or two to acknowledge your application would be great.
10) With consolidation there are definitely fewer jobs. How do you separate yourself from the pack?
I'm a competitor in every sense of the word. There's not a lot I won't try. I've worked the oilfield recently so I know how to roll up my sleeves and 'get it done.'
Uh oh ... now you're on your own for getting new music. If applicable, name your three most recent purchases since leaving the biz.
Volbeat (luv da Beat), Nothingmore and the new Breaking Benjamin.