10 Questions with ... Henry Ochs "Hammerin Hank"
September 29, 2015
BRIEF CAREER SYNOPSIS:
I worked at KYLD (WiLD 94.9)/San Francisco from January 1994-August 2008, where I was a member of both "Mancow's Morning Madhouse and "The Doghouse Morning Show with JV and Elvis." I also hosted a weekend radio show for three years called "The Loungin With Hammerin Hank Show," and if that's not enough, I helped out in promotions!
I'm currently writing and voicing Public Service Announcements for KRBQ (Q102) in San Francisco.
1) What do you do to maintain a positive mental attitude and stay motivated?
I keep a "Never Give Up Attitude."
2) How are you occupying your time, besides looking for a job?
I'm currently in a wellness program at The Hedco Wellness Center in Hayward, CA. I recently graduated from a similar program at The Choices Learning Center in Oakland. I also spend a lot of my weekends interacting with my friends from my favorite Top 40 radio show "Saturday Night Online Live with Romeo.
3) Do you plan on sticking with radio?
Yes! I will never give up on my dream of securing another air shift!
4) If you were offered a similar position to what you were doing for considerably less money, would you seriously consider taking the job just to stay in the biz?
Yes, I would! I love this industry so much and am willing to work in any area to get my foot back in the door!
5) What's the longest stretch you've had on the beach?
I spent six years looking for work. I left WiLD 94.9 in August 2008.
6) What has been your best resource for finding out about job openings?
I look at all of the radio job websites.
7) What is the next job you'd like to obtain?
I would like to secure a weekend on air shift anywhere.
8) Are you spending as much time listening to radio as you used to?
I'm actually spending more time listening to both conventional and Internet radio. Radio and music are my wellness tools.
9) What has been your biggest career accomplishment?
Performing stand-up comedy at the 2004 Doghouse Comedy Jam in front of 20,000 people!
10) Where do you see yourself in five years?
Doing weekend on-air work.
In 10 years?
Hopefully my first full time on-air position.
Uh oh ... now you're on your own for getting new music. If applicable, name your three most recent purchases since leaving the biz.
I download music on my listening devices and also collect baseball bobbleheads!