10 Questions with ... S!ick
July 26, 2016
BRIEF CAREER SYNOPSIS:
- Armed Forces Network/Bremerhaven, (West) Germany ...
- Mornings on "Power 1450"/KKPW, Tucson ..."Y95"/KOY/Phoenix ...
- "Hot 102"/WLUM/Milwaukee ... Mornings on "Power 1510" KDKO/Denver ...
- Mornings on "Power 1490" KJYK/Tucson ... "Hot 98.3" KOHT/Tucson...
- KNST/Tucson ... Mornings on "97.1 Cool FM" KWFM /Tucson ... KRQQ/Tucson...
1) How are you occupying your time, besides looking for a job?
Read ... I'm a "readaholic," and a self-proclaimed nerd (and geek). Networking. Looking on the ground for change ... and in payphones. Asking Andy of TechtalkRadio if he can come out and play...
2) Some people get discouraged or enlightened with the business when they actually step out of it for a while. Tell us your observations from the outside.
The Internet has allowed for much more freedom, creativity, interaction, options and choices. I don't need to be on a radio station to take away current listeners from a station or market...as well as target potential future listeners who are being under-served and ignored. Advertisers/sponsors ... are also fair game.
3) Do you plan on sticking with radio?
Probably. I LOVE radio. I fell in love with radio. I have too much passion for it. It calls to me. In my counseling session I was told...
4) What's the craziest thing you've ever done to get a job?
First of all, my therapist said we don't use that word ... "crazy." Well. I packed a bag, hopped on a bus, and arrived at the station. Just like I was courtin' one of my ex-girlfriends...
5) What is the next job you'd like to obtain?
On-air ... preferably as a personality (music or talk formats). I'm also interested in programming/operations positions...
6) Are you finding salaries/benefits lower than you ever thought, about the same, or have you seen some pleasant surprises?
Lower. A lot of salaries/benefits that companies budget for, in my opinion -- based on what I've been aware of -- are not reasonable enough for the cost of living in their areas/markets.
7) What's the most unbelievable on-air bit you were allowed to do?
I don't lie to my audiences about bits; when it's scripted, I don't try to hide it. Most of my career, I have made bits from reality. One of my listeners came to the station to see if I might be able to help her find a place to live (and a job) ... she was homeless. The format was music-intensive, and I did what I could within it. In the process, I was able to share a lot of helpful information with others (who were in the same situation, and about to be), and get help for her. All within a balance of seriousness and humor appropriate and acceptable to all involved. After the show, the PD or GM didn't again call me into their office ... for "corrective action"... for a change...
8) What has been your biggest career accomplishment?
Experiencing others having faith, and believing in me. Those who gave me opportunities, permission, and freedom to do things, did so due to my planning, execution, and trusting that I understood goals. I don't want to leave out any names from my VERY long list of people who deserve thanks: from owners, to programming, to sales, to promotions/marketing, to engineering, to sponsors/advertisers, to listeners ... all the way down to the part-timers who trusted me. Including those people who wanted to get into radio, and listened to what I had to say.
9) What do you miss most about music/radio? The least?
The most: I miss having fun, serving my community/listeners, being creative, and kickin' the competition's ass (I was taught and practiced "guerrilla radio warfare").
The least: Staff members who just don't care.
10) If you were offered a similar position to what you were doing for considerably less money, would you seriously consider taking the job just to stay in the biz?
Maybe. It would depend on the description of the position, the company and people I'm working for/with ... and how else I could financially survive.
Care to contribute a recipe for our "On The Beach" cookbook?
You can get more from your "food stamps" when you stick to: oatmeal with peanut butter and brown sugar, rice and soup, and beans and rice. Which could nab you a gold star sticker AND lollipop after yer colonoscopy!