10 Questions with ... Carlota
May 10, 2011
BRIEF CAREER SYNOPSIS:
- KTIP/Porterville CA, 1991
- KKDJ (The Edge)/Fresno CA, 1991-1993
- KJFX/Fresno CA, 1993-1994
- New Rock 104/Fresno CA, 1995-1996
- KRZR/Fresno, 1996-1998
- KXTE/Las Vegas, 1998-2002
- KOMP/Las Vegas, 2002-Present
1) What was your first job in radio?
KTIP(K-100)/ Porterville ... I played Mariah Carey tunes and dodged cockroaches and spiders . .. don't know what was worse--the bugs or the music..
Doug The Slug on KROQ and Dusty Street, formerly of KROQ
2) What led you to a career in radio? Was there a defining moment that made you realize "this is it"?
When I was 8, I was in the back of my dad's car and Andy Gibbs' "I Just Wanted To Be Your Everything" was assaulting the airwaves, then the DJ came on and said, "I just want to be your underwear" and I knew right then and there that I wanted to be your underwear. I actually listen to that song when it comes on now just to pay my respects.
3) If you were just starting out in radio, knowing now what you didn't then, would you still do it?
Hell, yeah. This beats working.
4) What career path would you be following had it not been for this industry?
I would hope I thought about stand-up comedy at an early age if radio wasn't on my radar. I almost considered a career dancing (For real, not stripping. I don't enjoy the smell of cotton candy in an ashtray)
5) How do you feel terrestrial radio competes with the satellite radio and Internet these days?
Satellite completely sucks, quite frankly. The sound quality is horrible. Plus I've always looked at it like this: CBS, FOX, NBC and ABC survived cable. We can survive and are surviving satellite and internet. Plus, our enemy is ourselves not Octane or Classic Rewind.
6) Describe your weekly music meeting ... a) what is the process when you listen to new music? b) approximately how important by percentage is gut, research, sales, video play, and chart position when determining the status of a record?
John Griffin and I have a very old-school approach regarding new music. First and foremost: Does it sound like KOMP? We don't care if KXYZ is playing it; does it sound good in between our records? Gut is a big part of our decision. Charting and all the other stuff comes second, if not third...
7) What format does not exist that should? Would it work?
A Hot AC that has a library consisting of Depeche Mode, the Cure, the Smiths, Soup Dragons, etc. instead of Pink and Matchbox 20. Most Hot ACs I've heard barely dabble in '80s and '90s Alternative. Or maybe I just haven't heard the station that's doing it.
8) What is the one truth that has held constant throughout your career?
Be yourself ... even if it gets you fired. If you are true to yourself and your beliefs, you'll land on your feet.
9) Please describe the best or worst promotion you've ever been part of?
Giving away 10% off hot dogs from 7-11? The worst promotion that almost happened but never did was a Super Bowl Party at a car dealership ... I always see that as the one that got away...
10) Most of us have known or even worked for a "colorful" owner/GM/air talent. Care to share a story? (The names can be changed to protect the innocent).
I worked for a PD who went to our remotes the day before, took our talent fee (this is back when we were paid cash) and kept it. We would show up to our remote to no cash. He then told us that he puts the money in a jar, like a tip jar, to hand out at the end of the month. Yeah. Never happened, by the way.
What is the biggest change that you'd like to see happen in the business?
I wish the industry would stop being so afraid of what made radio so great in the first place. Get back to the basics of radio -- locality and personality -- and stop operating in fear
What's the best concert you've been to so far this year and why?
Lady Gaga. True story. I expected to hate it because I don't really care for her music, but she was, hands down, the best performer I've ever seen
Tell us what music we would find on your car or home CD player (or turntable) right now and what is it you enjoy about that particular selection?
I'm into the new Linda Perry project right now, Deep Dark Robot. Pretty cool. The last Deftones record was my fave CD of 2010.
Who would be your dream guest on the show?
Fill in the blank: I can't make it through the day without...