10 Questions with ... Kristen Bergman
October 30, 2012
BRIEF CAREER SYNOPSIS:
- 2000,/ KHTO (Hot 106.7) Top 40.
- 2001-2002, KZRQ (104.1 Channel Z) Active Rock.
- 2003 - present, KQRA
- August 2012 - present, KOSP
1) What led you to a career in radio? Was there a defining moment that made you realize "this is it"?
I was going to be a kindergarten teacher and did a complete 180 and found my home in front of the microphone! SO GLAD TO BE IN RADIO! I knew I was in the right place when I began focusing on the listener and the community. Creating things people wanted and needed -- and then seeing the reaction and success -- is what has kept me going.
My "Ah-Ha" moment is when I can create happiness for someone else and on my stations, some how, some way; we do it EVERY SINGLE DAY!
2) If you were just starting out in radio, knowing now what you didn't then, would you still do it?
ABSOLUTELY! I'm lucky. My "job" is a blast. I work with incredible people and Mid-West Family is a great starting place for passionate radio people. We "get it" here and help to grow some of the best programming people in the biz!
3) How long have you been at KQRA (Q 102.1) and what are your main responsibilities there?
I've been at Q102 since January 2003. I oversee programming, our amazing on-air team of nine... I do a midday show, and assist our killer Sales department with promotional opportunities and advertising campaigns for clients ... clean out the fridge, take out the trash. Whatever needs to be done, I'll do it!
4) You are also the OM for the entire Midwest Family Radio cluster there in Springfield, Tell us the other stations and formats in the group you are responsible for.
Well, we have four stations and two OMs. John Kimmons oversees KOMG/Country and KKLH/Classic Rock. I have the other half of the building! My latest project was to create a station that appeals to women 25-44, so in August I launched 92.9 "The Beat." It's a Rhythmic Top 40 and I'm having a blast programming it! John and I work closely together to execute a strategic plan for our four stations to better serve our listeners and clients every day.
5) You also do an air shift on Q 102.1. How do you find time to do that plus handle your OM responsibilities for the cluster?
Good question! Some days I need four more of me! You know, I'm more busy than I've ever been in my career, but it's FUN and I'm lucky to work with great people who really are a team and help one another all the time. That makes a HUGE difference in the dynamic of my stations. On the flip side, I may hire a few more bodies in the near future!
6) I was impressed to see you and your APD Shadow in Las Vegas at the recent Radio Contraband Convention. So how did you two "Rock Chicks" end up running the programming and music on Q102.1?
Thanks! We are a pair for sure. She is my sidekick. We have been working rock and taking names in Springfield for almost 10 years together. Having that kind of working relationship is hard to find and when you do ... priceless! We pick up each others pieces. We are COMPLETE opposites in life and with our musical tastes, that is what's created a great balance for KQRA!
7) What's your take on current music in the Active Rock format? Is it as good as six months ago, better, or about the same?
Six months ago really isn't a long time seeing how some songs take that long to build! I'd say the same, I guess. I'm loving the big names like Linkin Park, Three Days Grace, Papa Roach right now. Impressed with the growth of In This Moment, Volbeat, The Black Keys ...and excited to be breaking Aranda, Gaslight Anthem and New Medicine in our market!
8) How does your station utilize social media as a marketing tool?
We use social media on so many levels! It's the lifestyle of our demo. No one wants a long e-mail anymore. People don't pick up the phone and call us like they used to. But our text clubs and text interaction with our on-air personalities is through the roof! Our OVERNIGHT girl Bailey has had 25+ thousand text messages sent to her since January -- and that's in the overnight! Pretty cool! We all have Facebook pages, Twitter and so on. Where we grow and interact the most with our listeners is when we talk about local things and really put ourselves in a position to be just like them ... because we are.
9) Tell us about a unique promotion that KQRA has recently done that was impactful for the listeners and the station?
Feel-good promotion and& listeners get free stuff: The Cans Film Festival. We do it every year in December. Our listeners bring canned food items to stock the local food banks and in return, Wehrenberg Theaters gives our listeners free movie passes and lets them see free movies on the spot. Their 16 theaters are FULL all day and usually take in over 30k cans of food.
Fun promotions that we love: The Q102 .102k on St. Pats Day. It's exactly what it says it is. A .102k! Runners get a shirt and a beer at the finish line to kick off our huge St. Pat's party at Dublin's Pass Irish Pub. Sold out last year!
10) Springfield is right up the road from Branson. Do you have any cool and campy Branson, Missouri stories to share with us?
Not really ... nope. Nothing worth sharing...
What do you do for fun away from your Rock and work life?
I spend time with my amazing husband Kevin and the best kid on earth -- my daughter Madi. We spend a lot of time on our boat! We enjoy the outdoors and traveling, too!
I'm addicted to Hot Yoga; I just got an acoustic Taylor guitar and I'm taking weekly lessons!
What is the best live band you've seen this year?
Musically- Five Finger Death Punch
Entertainment Value-Foxy Shazam
Name the artist/act (living or dead) you'd love to meet and why?
Dave Grohl. I've never met him. I LOVE the Foo Fighters and he's on my free list.