10 Questions with ... Tina Smash
December 4, 2012
BRIEF CAREER SYNOPSIS:
- Clear Channel/Youngstown, OH 2001-2007
- Next Media/Wilmington, NC 2007-2010
- Next Media/Greenville-New Bern, NC 2010-Present
1) What led you to a career in radio? Was there a defining moment that made you realize "this is it"?
There was a defining moment for me. I was at a local club back home hanging with my girlfriends and one of the local DJs (I won't say who because he's still in radio and syndicated now) was doing a live broadcast. I watched him all night and couldn't believe he was getting paid to do this! He must have thought I was watching him because I liked him or something. He ended up asking me out and I thought ... why not? It'll give me a chance to pick his brain about radio. The date was not good, but I did get a tour of the station and that night I went home and Googled broadcasting schools, and here I am. So I guess a really bad date got me into radio ... lol!
2) What career path would you be following had it not been for this industry?
I'd probably be on the "Bad Girls Club" reality show.
3) How long have you been at WXQR and what makes this station so unique?
I've been here a little over two years! We are a heritage Rock station that has been going strong for over 34 years! We are known as the ballsy, edgy station. I LOVE that! Can I say ballsy? Plus we live the lifestyle that I feel is so important. We are real Rock fans. How many times have you seen a Rock DJ and they have no clue? It's horrible. They do it for the paycheck.
4) Congrats on your new role as PD. Now that you're in the big chair, what's your plan for the next three months? What about your long-term goals for Rock 105.5?
Thanks. My plan for the next three months is to not burn the building down! Long-term goals? Not burn the building down!
5) You also do afternoons on the station. How do you balance doing an air shift along with your PD duties?
I can't balance crap! I'm freaking out over here ... LOL. I get most of my stuff done in the morning and I make a point when I go on the air to just focus on my shift. No music calls or e-mails! It's all about the listener from 2-7p. Sometimes I get stuck working late, but I'm currently a one-woman show right now. It'll be a lot easier when I get some bodies in here.
6) Let's talk about the music on WXQR. What makes Rock 105.5 ROCK?
Rock 105 has been going strong for 34 years. We have a wide range of Rockheads from older to younger. We play what rocks for all ages! Whether it's a classic Sabbath, Maiden or Pantera to new rock, if it rocks you're going to hear it on Rock 105! I love when we start spinning a newer band and an older Rockhead calls to find out about the band. Just because you are of a certain age doesn't mean you don't appreciate new/old rock. I think we have found a way to balance it and still be active and familiar!
7) You're also in the very unique postion of having a direct Active Rock competitor in WXNR. How is that battle going and who's winning?
A little friendly competition never hurt anyone. It keeps us on our toes! Did you really just ask me who's winning? C'mon now!
8) What's your take on current music in the Active Rock format? Is it as good as six months ago, better, or about the same?
I think it's better and I feel it keeps getting better! You got your well-known artists/bands that keep putting out great albums (Slash, Shinedown, Soundgarden, Offspring) and then newer bands (Halestorm, In This Moment, Volbeat, Nonpoint, etc).
9) How does your station utilize your website and social media (Facebook, Twitter) as a marketing tool?
Social media is so important. It's amazing how many people you can reach through this method. I am still a firm believer in connecting with your listener through the airwaves and via phone calls, but implementing FB and Twitter as well. The more ways to connect, the better.
10) I'm assuming that Smash isn't your real last name. What's the origin of that handle and is it cool to have an NBC-TV series named after you?
I got Smash from the band Atom Smash! They were opening up for a show here locally and we gave them a solid. We put them on my show to give them some love. That night on stage they were so grateful and thanked me and called me Tina Smash. It just stuck!
Is Smash about a dance show or something? You NEVER want to see me dance. It's ugly!
Who's the best live band you've seen this year and why?
That's a tough one. There were some really great shows this year. Carolina Rebellion was kick-ass! So many great bands hit the stages this year. I am a huge fan of Five Finger Death Punch. They always put on a great show. I love how Ivan connects with his fans. Also ... the reunion with Head and Korn. That was crazy! And I have to say In The Moment sticks out as one of the best as well!
What do you like to do to relax when you're not fully in radio mode?
When it's chilly out I try to do a fat kid day at least once a week. I stay in my PJs and have a couch picnic and watch a marathon of "Law & Order." In the summer, it's beach and bottomless sangrias or long motorcycle rides with no particular destination!
You're stuck on a deserted island and you only have five CDs with you. What are they?
It's not possible for me to even answer that. Can I be stuck with my iPod instead? And a hot guy?