10 Questions with ... Steven Mills
June 10, 2014
BRIEF CAREER SYNOPSIS:
- KMAJ-KDVV/Topeka, KS
- KLZR/Lawrence-Kansas City, KS
- KMXW/Wichita, KS
- KANR/Wichita, S
- KTBT/Tulsa, OK
- KBLR-KQKQ/Omaha, NE
- KQIZ/Amarillo, TX
- KSZR/Tucson, AZ
- WXMT-WBYB/Olean, NY
- WMXO-WQRS/Olean, NY
- WLVY-WOKN-WEHH/Elmira, NY
- WZZO/Allentown, PA
- KDVV /KWIC /KMAJ /KTO /Topeka, KS
1. What led you to a career in radio? Was there a defining moment that made you realize "this is it"?
Radio has always been my passion. I grew up in a radio family! Truthfully, I used to listen to Hot 103 JAMZ and Mix 93 in Kansas City(Sam Weaver and Jon Zellner had the most poppin' stations on the planet!) From there, I knew that I wanted this as a career!
2. I understand you started doing radio at the ripe old age of 16. Can you share with us some of your radio career highlights?
You know, it was really exciting to actually do the on-air thing, but it really started by spinning Leeza Gibbons and Casey Kasem at KMAJ. John Lee Hooker was the OM/PD then. He still does morning drive on the station -- and now I am back. My highlights include bringing Rhythmic to Tulsa, being the last PD of KQKQ in Omaha as Sweet 98 and being involved in creating the syndicated "Sunday Nite Slow Jams" with R-DUB!
3. If you were just starting out in radio, knowing now, what you didn't then, would you still do it?
Absolutely. I am very passionate about the business. I don't think that anything could happen to change that.
4. Congrats on your new programming gig for Cumulus/Topeka. It must be exciting doing radio again in your hometown. Tell us about the Rock station KDVV (V100.3) and what makes this station so unique?
V-100 plays a great mix of the classics, along with current Rock and a few Alternative titles. Jeff Peterson did a great job putting this together back in the 2000s, Forrest Smithkors did really well with the station as well, and I intend to continue the legacy. Cumulus has provided me with some great tools and I plan to take advantage of them.
5. Now let's talk about the Classic Hits station KWIC (99.3 The Eagle). How is this station doing in the market?
The Eagle is really doing well. This station clearly super serves the 30-54-year-old age group and beyond. I catch myself singing along with the songs on this station. Former PD Greg Dunkin did a great job with this station.
6. Is there any overlap of artists and songs played between V-100 and The Eagle?
There are some songs that overlap. However, we do a pretty good job of protecting against that being a problem.
7. You are also doing middays on V-100 as the Just Plain Steve Experience. Can you give us some highlights from the show, both on air and events you've been a part of?
I will start doing middays on V-100 in a week or two. I am super-excited about this. I will be able to share my "experience" with people that I know. You will have to tune in to get the "411!"
8. How do you balance your time effectively being the PD of two stations and also doing Middays on V-100?
It's all about time management. I actually do two on air shifts.....Mid Days on V-100 and Afternoons on our sister station, Majic 107.7. Remember, this is not hard work.....it's fun!
9. What's your take on music in the Rock format? Is it as good as six months or a year ago, better, or about the same?
The music is SUPER-good right now. I am loving the Volbeat and Five Finger Death Punch, but still rockin' to Motley Crue, Metallica and Steppenwolf. And yes, six months ago, the music was still pretty strong, in my opinion.
10. I know you are an accomplished pianist and play guitar as well. I understand you had a great music moment years ago at an Alanis Morissette concert in Kansas City. Can you share the highlights with us?
Absolutely. Alanis came to play and I had met her about two years earlier at another venue. I contacted her people to let them know that I would be in attendance to her show. I was "invited" to play the piano for her as she sang "Uninvited," live on stage. Okay, I did get a few minutes with her to practice before it all went down. Definitely one of the most cherished highlights of my life.
What do you like to do to relax when you're not fully in radio mode?
I play the piano a whole lot. You can also catch me on the computer and watching lots of Netflix.
You're stuck on a deserted island and you only have fiv CDs with you. What are they?
- Volbeat - Outlaw Gentlemen & Shady Ladies
- Pharrell Williams - G I R L
- Lorde - Pure Heroine
- Def Leppard - Mirror Ball (Live & More)
- Rascal Flatts - Greatest Hits Volume 1
That's all I need!