10 Questions with ... "Neander" Paul Marshall
March 8, 2011
BRIEF CAREER SYNOPSIS:
WZLX/Boston; WHDH/Boston; WHEB/Portsmouth, NH; WAAF/Boston; WMFS/Memphis; WKCW/New Orleans; WEGE/Columbus, OH; KRXQ/Sacramento; WAAF/Boston (round II) ; WBCN/Boston; KQRC/Kansas City; and now ... I endure the harsh winters of Phoenix
1) What is a typical day like in your position?
I don't have typical days. There are some that go smoother than others ... and expectations/routines are static. But each day is different. That's part of why I love this so much.
2) Most of us have known or even worked for a "colorful" owner/GM/air talent. Care to share a story?
Hell no! Mom always said; "If you can't say something nice..." Okay ... I did have a GM who claimed to have dated Elvis. However, either she was lying about her age, or The King was playing by Jerry Lee Lewis rules.
3) What is the best advice you would give to young programmers/promotion people?
Programmers: I am no role model for your life. Promotions: Don't ignore any potential outlet for your artist. Get their music heard. No matter how it has to be done
4) What's the worst piece of advice anyone's ever given you?
"You're doing a good job. This is a performance-based industry, and you wouldn't be here if you weren't performing. Just keep doing what you're doing." I was fired shortly thereafter.
5) What do you read in the bathroom?
Honestly? I play "Centipede" on my old Gameboy. And that's NOT code for anything. Also, lots of Rock biographies
6) How do you stay in touch with the latest music trends?
Personally, trends mean nothing to me. But, for the station, I listen and watch everything.
7) How much interaction do you have with record labels?
Not as much as in the past. I'm sure it's very difficult for them right now, given the current industry climate.
8) In your opinion, what is the greatest song ever that never made it as a hit?
This changes so often. I always come back to a handful; "Say Ahh" by Merchant of Venus, and "Shine" by Sevendust are up there. But ... there was a band from England, called Moke that, to me, is the greatest band that never made it, of all time. The CDs came out on Ultimatum and the debut is criminally overlooked. Somebody please re-release this stuff! It deserves to be heard.
9) What is the one truth that has held constant throughout your career?
Sometimes, I am best served by keeping my mouth shut.
10) Of all the skills you have gained through the years, is there an area you'd like to improve?
See question 9.
What was the first song or full-length release you purchased?
Single: "King Tut" by Steve Martin. Full length: Wild Cherry
What is your favorite TV Commercial?
I LOVE the Dean Winters Allstate campaign. RECALCULATING!!!
What do you do in your spare time?
How much music do you listen to each week?
There's no such thing as "too much."
Do you have any musical guilty pleasures?
I loves me some hair bands!
What will convince you to add a song that you feel isn't right for the station?
Audience demand. They are always right.
What did you want to be when you were growing up?
David Lee Roth. I'm getting closer.