Overnight Briefing & General Reality Check - Dec 4, 2012
December 4, 2012
It appears that AZ GOP JOHN McCAIN let loose with a pretty good Freudian slip Monday regarding MA Sen JOHN KERRY. During a news conference, McCain said, "...thank you very much, Mr. Secretary."
There's been plenty of talk that Kerry is now the frontrunner to replace HILLARY CLINTON as secretary of state. Kerry smiled and shot back, "Thank you very much Mr. President." (Pacelli)
Christmas gift alert:
Warning: note some sexual content.
The holidays can be a magical time for children, but dicey if you have to splurge on a fickle little lady. Husbands around the globe will be buying presents with a wing and prayer this season, but should be okay if you steer clear of the eight absolute worst gifts you could give your wife!
1. A Weight Watchers Scale. Or any scale for that matter, unless you have a death wish.
2. Lip Wax Kit. Stay out of the doghouse by letting everyone make their own grooming choices.
3. Porn. Some women like it, but this is pretty much telling the missus she needs improvement between the sheets.
4. A Vacuum Cleaner. This is a necessity for the house, much like a toaster, microwave or iron. Don't insult her by assuming she adores doing everyone's chores.
5. Feminine Hygiene Products. Yes, we use these every month but gifts aren't always meant to be practical.
6. PlayStation 3. Let's not pretend this is actually for her, just put your name on the tag, say it's from Santa and make life easy for everyone.
7. Gift Certificate to BoobJobsRUs. Kidding about giving "the girls" a boost is entirely different than going under the knife. Note to the wise: don't ever joke with your wife about getting any sort of plastic surgery.
8. Spanx. Men may know about them, but you're not supposed to. Please don't ruin the mystique. (Source: TheStir.com) (Lee)
Burger King in Japan is offering all-you-can-eat burgers and fries.
But, Weird Asia News says there's a catch. To take advantage of the promotion, customers have to pay for a full-sized meal deal and eat the whole thing. Afterwards, they can take advantage of the eat-all-you-can special. But, the promotion only lasts for 30-minutes after you buy your meal. (Still)
MARY KATE and ASHLEY OLSEN have created a line of $55-thousand dollar backpacks. The collection of super luxury leather sacks are a collaboration between the former child stars' designer label The Row and artist DAMIEN HIRST.
So what makes these backpacks worth more than a lot of new cars? MTV Style says they're made of crocodile leather. And they're embellished with Hirst's "quirky cool designs." Like colorful pills. And dots. Lots of dots. There are nine different designs in the limited-edition collection. A portion of the sales goes to UNICEF. If you think this all sounds a little crazy, there is a market for this stuff. Last year, the Olsen twins created a line of $39-thousand dollar backpacks... and they sold out! (Bartha)
The Reel Deal:
Hurlin' with the Hobbit: Potential problems for the upcoming "Hobbit" film.
After early screenings in New Zealand, where the world premiere was held, some viewers complained that the film made them sick to their stomach.
No, it wasn't problems at the theatre's concession stand --turns out the film is the first one to be shot at twice the normal number of frames per second, which director PETER JACKSON said gave the film "enhanced clarity and smoothness."
But, after the screening, some viewers told the Sunday Times that the double frame rate made them nauseous and dizzy, with some even complaining of migraines. One viewer commented on Twitter that the technique worked well for the snowy mountain shots, but close-up pictures "strobed." Another complained the footage looked "too real," whatever that means. In any event, the movie opens here on Dec 14.
Grace notes from Vinny Marino:
For the very first time, the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame is letting you vote on who should be inducted. RUSH leads the pack with 24.3-percent of the vote, followed by DEEP PURPLE with 17.1-percent, and HEART in third with 12.4-percent. The public voting ended yesterday.
Editor's note: Yeah, like JANN "I hate prog rock" WENNER is ever going to allow Rush or Deep Purple in his hallowed Hall. Your vote means nothing. (Marino)
The Ross Brittain Report has been perfected by Ross and his award winning writers to provide customizable show prep every weekday morning. To see why it's one of the most important show prep services in the US, or for a free two week trial, please contact us using the contact info below in the "About The Author" section.