January 5, 2011
New York City's after Christmas sales were at an all time low due to a ton of snow. You couldn't get near a store to get a discount or a shovel. The aftermath of the storm allowed many tourists to take advantage of deals I had my eyes on. Usually I've scoped out what I want to purchase ahead of time, while I'm buying gifts. There are always some items you really want that are out of budget. Should they be available the day after the holiday at a greatly reduced rate they become the steal of the year. I once purchased a set of Lenox Christmas China for thirty dollars. This perfect set of plates with holly and berries was found in an old tattered box under a table at a Mervyn's. I'm not sure if this store even exists anymore, probably not if the clerks treated all their customers like they did me. This untouched set was easily worth hundreds of dollars, however no one could get a style number on it so the Manager charged me thirty dollars off the top of her head. I told her it was worth more but there was a long line of returns behind me and she just wanted that tattered box out of her way. I gladly brought it home and use it each year with glee.
Regarding the return issue for this holiday season, I had none, nor did anyone in my family. It was the year of the gift card, with my teen receiving many Barnes and Noble cards, Shell Gas for my college kid and Starbucks and Dunkin Donuts for me. It's incredibly satisfying to order your afternoon cup of Joe and to be treated to it. It's a nice break not needing cash or using a debit for that much needed daily caffeine. In fact I'm off to get some now. What would you like?
She buzz words
- Credit card statement
- Duffle bag
Right now she could be
- Packing away ornaments
- Buying chapstick
- Printing Christmas pictures
- Writing thank you notes
She could be a
- Dental Hygienist
- Children's Dentist
She's not so sure...
- Mom Spit is a new rinse-free cleanser that will remove dirt instead of having her use a thumb with saliva on it. For more information, log on to www.babesta.com
- The Fish-N-Flush is an aquarium in a toilet tank; if she has a love for fish and an extra $300, she can log on to www.fishnflush.com.
"Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement." - Helen Keller
- Online diaries work for some dieters at www.myfooddiary.com. PDA users can use www.weightbydate.com and www.nutrihand-inc.com.
- 500,000 is the number of trees that could be saved each week if each person recycled their Sunday newspaper
- 50% of all newspapers are recycled (Source: Redbook magazine)
Notice all the white sales? January is the best month of the year to purchase sheets, towels, and comforters. Furniture is also marked down at this time because retailers need to make room for the next season's designs. Most great shopping finds happen whenever a store needs to bring in the next style or season. Cosmetic companies mark down products in March and August to clear space for their spring and fall lines. Fall clothing markdowns happen in November; winter markdowns in December and spring gets cheap in June. Shoes tend to go on sale in September. Shopping at the end of the month could help at a commissioned store where salespeople are looking to meet their quota.
- www.XCSki.org: a complete list of top ski resorts and trails for cross-country skiing, snowshoeing, ice-skating, sledding, and downhill skiing.
- www.Sephora.com: offers 13 free skincare samples (while supplies last) by joining the Sephora Beauty Insider program.
- www.neighborhoodies.com: makes great personalized hoodies for any occasion or just because.
"All these clearance sales are great, but I can't find my size in anything!"
Storing her Christmas treasures can be troublesome, with all the different shapes, sizes, and materials. Christmas lights can be wrapped around an empty paper towel or wrapping paper roll, or she can get a Sleeve 'N Store, which loads lights through a funnel to a waiting sleeve (www.sleevenstore.com). Both options allow for easy unwrapping for next year.
She's burned out from all that holiday gifting, but let's not let January's babies go without something special on their birthday.
Divvies Frost-Your-Own-Cupcakes are the coolest gift. Plus, they are safe for anyone with a dairy, egg, or peanut allergy. Yes, sprinkles are included, at www.divvies.com.
And when she's done frosting...
She or her favorite child can create their own fairytale with a Write-Your-Own Storybook. These illustrated books have blank pages perfect for the creative mind, at www.thinkitinkitpublishing.com.
She would be a queen for a day if only...
She had time to download and categorize all her holiday photos.
• Get more She Prep at www.ShePrep.com