March 25, 2011
Staying home to wait for any technician to show up sometime within a three hour time window is a lot to ask, and never much fun. Yet, it's necessary when you need your internet to work. Here's my friend Linda's Facebook status after waiting two hours for her service technician.
"Comcast Guy: If it's only happening to you, what does that say about you?
Me: You're obnoxious.
So he helped me fix the problem and I apologized for calling him obnoxious. All is right with the world."
Yes, beware of the woman who has been stuck home all day against her will, waiting for a repair. I would highly advise against blaming her for whatever repair needs to happen. Thankfully, this all ended well.
Exchanges between homeowner and a in-home service provider can be very challenging, and uncomfortable on either end. I'll deal with the gals side. It's weird having a stranger in her house taking care of a pipe or a wire, and it all depends on the persona of the worker who shows up. Once I has a plumber who easily was a size XXL come to my house; within the first five minutes he stood in my doorway, he put on a paper jump suit, shower cap and paper booties on his feet. Then, he handed me a card telling why their services were superior, including a statement that promised they wouldn't leave dirty footprints. He commented on every family photo and made bird chirps whenever he agreed with something I said. All was not well in my world, but at least my toilet got fixed.
She Could be a
- Human Resource Assistant
- Police Officer
She Could be working at a
- Blood Mobile
- Community Outreach Center
- DVD Store
- Alterations Shop
She Buzz Words
- Band Uniform
- Paper Trail
She Could be a
- Dog Groomer
- Pilates Instructor
- New Aunt
Right Now she could be
- Putting on mascara
- Cleaning up spilled milk
- Scrubbing pots
- Trying chopsticks
She Could be Working at a ..
- Sushi Restaurant
- Craft Store
- Clearing House
- "How much to fill up my gas tank!"
- She phone starter
- What's the best thing she's ever eaten?
- www.DoMyStuff.com: she can post a job, any job for someone in her area to bid on.
- www.5min.com: Five-minute video teaching her a quick trick like how to cook pad thai.
- www.Greenig.com: Personalized plant loving tips.
- www.damninteresting.com: Cool random knowledge that will make her the smartest cook at the dinner party.
- www.43things.com: She can plan her life goals and accept support and comments from some of the 1.2 million users.
- www.picbite.com: after uploading a photo she can ad a speech bubble and email it to whomever needs the view.
The American Hiking Society needs help rebuilding trails and planting trees. Make a vacation out of it! americanhiking.org/volunteervacation.aspx
- Manofthehouse.com: a non-girly website for dads who are trying to keep up in the parenting department.
• Get more She Prep at www.ShePrep.com