August 28, 2012
Tom Fishburne's great illustration really says it all! Read his article here.
Most companies are so me-centric, self-absorbed, or simply focused around a strategy that attempts to manipulate a person to like them in order to fill a bucket and believe they have accomplished something. They are more interested in pounding their chest instead of making a difference.
But, the real opportunity to connect and build anticipation so someone comes back again and again is to deliver on a promise of helping others (as Tom puts it) to be more awesome.
- Tell your truth and empower them to see the world in a new way, or feel it differently.
- Give them something that will make their conversations with friends, family and colleagues more interesting.
- Provide social currency so they look good for others.
- Be a friend with connections.
- Help them to join like-minded people to accomplish something that makes a difference.
- Involve them to use their imagination in a more effective way.
If you can deliver on that promise in each moment and offer a deeper value through how you make it available for them in every occasion ... you will be more awesome too.