Right-Size Your Career
August 13, 2013
Recently, our office floor was reconfigured to allow another tenant into our building. What this meant was a reallocation of office space in order to "right-size" the floor for better operation and more efficiency in our occupied space.
My office has been reduced in size by about half, but I love it twice as much, and others on the floor have moved to new spaces as well. In all cases, the space altogether is much more efficient and all previously unused space is now being used. By looking closely at what we actually required in terms of space, we had a lot of intelligent conversations about what would best fit where, and how. By moving a few walls, putting up a doorway here and there, we came up with an awesome construction plan. Everyone gets a better, more efficient space that feels more like home.
Your career is similar - by spending time looking at where you have been, and asking the hard questions about the future, you can see where you will best fit, and then can start on your right-sizing career plan to get there. If your goal is to right-size your career, that means knowing what you can and want to achieve, then launching the right sized plan to get it done.
PLAN TO RESIZE, RIGHT SIZE, AND RISE
- If your career currently is not "sized" correctly, that means you're feeling kind of uncomfortable about where you are and where you are headed. But with a few easy steps, you can get a handle on where you have been and where you want to be. The difference between where you are today and where you want to be in the future is your ACTION PLAN.
- Set your goals in career going forward. Be very specific. "I want to be doing X by the time I am X age," or "I see myself being X after I achieve the goal just before that of X." Write everything down. Pull it out and read your goals regularly.
- Take a look at your career today. Are you right-sized? Are you doing what is required to get you to your next goal?
- If you are right-sized and on target today for your next goal, congratulations, keep it up!
- If you are NOT right-sized, have taken a step to one side or the other, or have moved off plan whereby you are NOT getting closer to your next goal, take notice and get ready to correctively act. Understanding that you need to act is well over half the issue being solved! Most do not recognize the need to act, therefore they do NOT act, and end up wrong-sized in their career.
Act decisively to put yourself back on track so that every day when you wake up, you can answer the question "What am I doing today to move myself CLOSER to my next goal?"
By making every day count, by following your goals and remaining on track, you are "Right Sizing" yourself to career success!